Cooking internal organs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
the question was: Any suggestions on how to cook up the organs... heart, kidneys, liver?

here are some responses:

1. I like them sauteed with mushrooms in butter - real butter! - with a nice fresh-from-the-garden tomato on the side. This time of year tomatoes aren't worth buying, so maybe just a green salad. You want something fresh-flavoured to off-set the richness.

The liver should also make an excellent pate. I tried making some once and it was very good. I think I worked from this blurb... sorry, I don't have the source.

"Rabbit liver is unusually large and unusually delicious. Sear it on both sides in clarified butter, leaving it pink inside. Then add a few shallots to the pan with some wine, port or brandy and cook a few minutes. Process with a touch of cream, salt, pepper and a pinch of allspice or nutmeg for quick pate."

The liver in particular is delicious - full-flavoured but much milder than other kinds of liver. This is particularly true with livers from fryers. The kidneys are fine eating too. The heart is on the chewy side, but nothing wrong with the flavour. The quote about frying them with butter sounds like mine... It is certainly how I prefer them.

I've also used them in a rabbit pie with other meat, precooked in the slow cooker. The bunny version of steak and kidney pie! :)

Darn it, now I'm hungry!

The warnings against toxins in organ meat come mostly from the artificial way most commercial meat is raised. If you raise your own animals and give them proper diet and care those toxins shold not be present. Of course look them over for disease at butchering time. Just learn what healthy organs are supposed to look like. The internal organs are the first places many diseases will show up.

Naturally one examines the giblets, particularly the liver, for any abnormalities. One needs to watch particularly for the white or yellowish nodules in the liver that would indicate coccidiosis. Any abnormal organ should be discarded.

Back