Consuming too much grass in xpen?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndseyrk

Reaction score
My son has a pet Mini Rex named Bob. He is a PIG. The only time this rabbit won't eat is when it is REALLY hot outside. Everyday, he gets hay in the morning, large handful of greens in the afternoon, and 1/4 cup of pellets in the evening. He eats each meal in about 15 minutes. He came from a lady who gave me 14 rabbits b/c she couldn't afford to feed them (all were thin, some very thin). Even though I have his weight at a normal amount, he still thinks he's starving.

This year, I have 2 xpens I occassionally set up out in the yard for a few of the rabbits to run around in. Most of them hop around, occassionally picking and eating some grass. But Bob is a different story. You put Bob in there, and he starts eating grass. Doesn't stop until you take him out. The longest he's been in the xpen is 15 minutes, because I'm afraid of him eating too much at once. I'd like to leave him out for at least 1/2 hour, so advice on what to do? Slowly add more time to his outside exposure? So far he hasn't suffered any ill effects, other than moping after putting him back in his cage so someone else can have a turn in the xpen.

I'd do just like with a horse on grass in spring - build him up slowly just as you are thinking ... add 5 minutes increments if you can bear it - I bet he'd be fine if you just dumped him out there but this seems safer to me :)

I agree with Brody... just increase his time slowly. You might try putting him in the X-pen right after his pellets. If he's full to start with, the temptation to pig out might be less.

Mini Rex are the most gluttonous rabbits you could ever lay eyes on, I've seen a few that would literally eat themselves to death.

If you're worried about him eating to much grass is it possible to put the pen on a cement patio or put down some mats? So he can still have his outside time, but without you having to worry about him eating so much?

To deworm, put a fingernail sized pellet of ivemectrin on a tasty leaf and feed it. I have had to do this a couple times.

Latest posts

Back