Conjunctivitis in rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastNeukRabbits

White Cloud Rabbits
Reaction score
I currently have two does sharing a 6ftx5ft shed, within the shed they are kept separate and the space is pretty well ventilated. One of the does has a litter of 8 week old kits, a couple of which have had mildly crusty eyes. At first I thought it could have been caused by the hay. Then when another kit got affected I thought- conjunctivitis!?
Upon checking the second doe this morning I noticed she too had a slight crust on her eyelashes.
So far I’ve been bathing the kits eyes with salt water to unstick any bits, the eyes themselves are clear with no sign of discharge. The mucous membranes are a little red but I’m not surprised when their eyes are crusty.
What does anybody suggest/recommend please? I am disinclined to take a trip to my horrendously overpriced vet unless I cannot treat it myself.
I can try for pictures but I’ve just cleaned them so right now all looks normal.

I've not had my doe get crusty eyes but occasionally kits will get it from nest box....in cases I have had removing and changing out nesting material with fresh clean straw/hay and wiping eyes with a warm compress for a day or 2 seems to clear it up..hopefully just a case of nest box eyes..good luck and let us know.

I've not had my doe get crusty eyes but occasionally kits will get it from nest box....in cases I have had removing and changing out nesting material with fresh clean straw/hay and wiping eyes with a warm compress for a day or 2 seems to clear it up..hopefully just a case of nest box eyes..good luck and let us know.
One of my kits has a crying eye (keeps it closed for the most part), I have been washing it with a soft cloth and spraying colloidal silver. Wondering if this would be considered nest box eye if kit is now 7 weeks old, and in a wire bottom grow out pen.
The upper eye lid looks swollen, almost as if she has inverted eyelashes but they are not inverted. I am wondering if there is a human eye drop or something that I could administer to ease any discomfort and help speed healing.. Also, concerned about spread: if such a thing contagious? If so I would like to separate her from the other kits.

Back