concerns with my rabbits??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hacoochie

Reaction score
i have several concerns with my rabbits and i'd love some help on figuring out what's wrong, or if i'm just worrying over nothing. i've only owned rabbits for a couple years so i have very little experience with illnesses. currently all my rabbits live outside in all wire cages. they're fed orchard hay and limited pellets.

first off is my little himalayan doe. she's the sweetest thing, shes super calm and not piggy about food and will always rush up to the cage door for pets. my concern is that for the last few days, she's much slower to eat her food (particularly her pellets, usually she eats most of the hay i give her). i feed everyone in the evenings and when i come outside the next day usually everyone's feeder is empty. her's looks like it wasn't touched at all. she's never been piggy, but it's unusual for her to not touch her food at all. her poop looks normal and i do see her drink and groom like usual. her pee is yellow and somewhat cloudy. she seems a little tired and not as eager to come up for pets, but still shows interest in toys. she's only two years old. the weather has been warmer lately (low 80s). she usually never has a problem with the heat and tolerates it best out of everyone, and my mini rex is having no issue with it right now. is this cause for concern or am i worrying for no reason?

next is my mini rex. i noticed that for the last couple weeks or so, she has a large patch of fur on her back that is not at all like the rest of her. it's very crunchy and dry, but it goes away if i thoroughly groom through it. her fur gets like this immediately after she grooms there. another concern with her is that she always seems to get pee on her tail no matter what i do. she has no solid flooring in her cage, just a resting mat. everyone's cages are thoroughly scrubbed and cleaned every week or more often. the pee never gets to her skin, just stains her tail and is unpleasant to look at. are some rabbits just generally gross, or is there something wrong with her? her pee seems normal to me, but it is somewhat cloudy. like my himi doe, she's also two years old.

I would be concerned about the himi... She sounds like something is a bit off with her. Do you have access to a vet?

The mini rex... some rabbits can not have a resting mat because they get filthy. She sounds like one of them. Pee on the resting mat, get urine on her body.

i do but as far as i know they are not rabbit savvy. i'm also a minor and my mother is heavily leaning against taking a rabbit to the vet. about my mini rex, she never pees on her mat, just in one corner of her cage. she has had a bit of sore hocks in the past so i try to keep a mat in her cage all the time.

just went out to check on everyone. my little dutch doe also seems slow to eat her pellets and she has a huge appetite. she ate all of her hay though and she's still energetic as always. my himi ate most of her food, pellets and hay. it seems to only be an issue with the pellets.

any ideas on how to help them? i almost definitely can't take them to the vet because of the cost. if there's any way at all to treat at home i will do it.

any ideas on how to help them? i almost definitely can't take them to the vet because of the cost. if there's any way at all to treat at home i will do it.
I've heard that black sunflower seeds oil is good for digestive issues

i checked her teeth the other day, they look normal to me. she is doing a little better and more energetic but still not eating all her pellets.

i just checked her front teeth. i'm not sure how to check their back teeth. when i do see her eat, it doesn't seem like shes struggling to chew or anything, no drooling either.

If she's eating slower, perhaps she's having trouble with her water? Is it a water bottle or crock? Piped in water? Give her a dish of water and see if she drinks it right away. If she does, then there may be a water issue of some sort.

she has a water bottle. i don't have a watering system or anything, i check their bottles every day to make sure they work properly. i see her drink out of her bottle plenty, and i cannot use a dish because they're all outside. i used to use crocks and they would pee in the water and things would get in the water, so i switched to bottles.

Back