compliant does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avdpas77

Reaction score
I should palpate my does, I guess, but I don't much remember how to do it any more.. and truth be told... I'm just too lazy. I usually breed 3 or 4 does at a time...so I have 1/3 to 1/2 of my does kindling on an alternating schedule so I have room in my grow-out pens.

I have found that at least two of my senior does will "make bones" and build a nest (and sometimes pull a bit of fur) when I put the nestbox in even if they aren't bred. (This is at 4 weeks, not two weeks like a false pregnancy)

I must admit here that I tend to let my does get too fat in the late summer and early fall, and always have a few that don't take the first time. So, has anyone else ever had this happen?

I've never had a doe pull fur if they didn't actually deliver. Any possibility that the times they did, there was only 1 baby delivered and lost in the nest, or maybe eaten?

I don't palpate either. Tried it for years. Can't get the hang of it. Tried to palpate a doe that was a few days overdue, couldn't feel anything, and gave up. She delivered 11 babies the next day. I decided palpating was not my strong suit.

I also usually try to breed a couple of does at the same time too. Just helps to have that extra backup in case anything goes wrong.

Only the hollands have made nest and had no kits. Generally it's the other way around, no nests, then kits come.

Latest posts

Back