Completely Off Topic

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitDad

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I know this shouldn't be here but I'm too excited over it not to share.
Our ranch is in N.E. Arizona between two Indian reservations.
One of our neighbors & a very dear friend has been "trying", with the patience of a god, to teach me the Navajo language. So far, it hasn't gone well. šŸ˜‰
Anyway over the weekend he took me to a place on our property that I didn't know existed. A small rocky canyon.
The walls are covered in ancient petroglyphs! He estimated between 1,000 to 1,500 years old.
Silly me, I mentioned how interesting it would be if we could understand what they meant.
After he was done laughing at me, he translated them! Apparently they are universal regardless of what tribe(s) created them.
They described animals (for hunting etc) such as rabbits, antelope, cougars & even snakes. Distance & direction and where to find water & plants used for medicine & spiritual stuff.
It really was incredible!
I'm going back to get it all on video.
Another interesting point I'd like to make... the lands that the reservations are on was the worst land available that my ancestors didn't want.
The Native American culture clearly understands the importance of the land so they took care of it. (Congested areas look horrible due to extreme poverty.) Unlike the rest of the state, it's as pristine / untouched as they got it.
One of, if not the most beautiful parts of Arizona.
For those unfamiliar with it, Google Monument Valley, AZ & look at PICs.

That sounds terrific. I like that you are working on learning Navajo. And having the petroglyphs there to 'read' is very special.
I do hope you post some photos when you get a chance.

Interesting. Here, every square inch has history, lots of it, all written down and as kids we got hammered with facts, dates, lineages and whatnot, battles, reigns, attacks, you name it. Its too much to comprehend, imo, since it's all very much alike, from neanderthals to present day, just turning of tides with slow steps forward.

The US is pretty much like a blank sheet in comparision, finding something that you didn't know it was there all the time, like magic invisible ink, sure sounds fascinating.

Interesting. Here, every square inch has history, lots of it, all written down and as kids we got hammered with facts, dates, lineages and whatnot, battles, reigns, attacks, you name it. Its too much to comprehend, imo, since it's all very much alike, from neanderthals to present day, just turning of tides with slow steps forward.

The US is pretty much like a blank sheet in comparision, finding something that you didn't know it was there all the time, like magic invisible ink, sure sounds fascinating.
Within shouting distance of my front door is evidence of a large Anasazi village. All sorts of artifacts are uncovered each time it rains.
For me, it's fascinating to look across the vast landscape or up at the night sky & see exactly the same views that these people saw a couple thousand years ago.
I often wonder what their daily lives were like, the dreams / ambitions they had etc.
Granted it's an all day trek to the store & back, but I wouldn't trade camping out of a tent here for the biggest mansion in the city.

That sounds very great to be out in the great dark to see the sky and know so many peoples have been looking up at the same sky. I really have a like for good dark. There is too much light pollution

Latest posts

Back