Comments on my four-five month old keepers

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Coal
[album]3860[/album]

Light
[album]3859[/album]

Pond
[album]3858[/album]

I know they are better than their parents, but just wanting the opinions on others. the good, the bad... just a work in progress.

Hard to see from the angles of the pictures. Also this is not a great age to be evaluating hollands, they change so much as they mature and many lines go through an ugly stage.

Coal: He looks like he has fairly good width & shape to the head, but his ears and long to balance (not as bad as the others though), placed too far back and his crown isn't really distinct. He could use more bone but looks to have okay width. Can't really see topline in this picture.

Light: Really long in the head, slipped in the crown (the ears should be placed just behind the eye, so that the front of the ear touches the back of the eye. She has a large gap between her eye and ear.) She does have good curvature to the head and muzzle, I'll give her that. She seems to have a longer body, lower head mount and weaker ankles/longer legs all of which aren't really desirable. She looks to me like a brood doe, without the dwarfing gene, and I'd guess that she would grow to be too big, if she isn't over the weight limit already.

Pond: She looks immature in her head. Shorter than the other one, but flatter over the brow. She needs to grow it out a big, not large enough to balance with her ears and body yet. She also is slipped in the crown and long in the ear, but she has better shape and carriage to those ears than Light; Light's were pointed and she held them further back. She has better depth of body and an okay topline but she needs more bone, more depth to the chest and looks like she probably needs more fullness/width to the lower hindquarters too (looks a bit pinched towards the table)

i should have noted that Pond is only 3 months so has some growing to do.

I"m hoping another month or so will show me more out of these kiddos. They are better than their folks, are larger than should be, but I don't mind large as long as my type overall is improving. I am not great at posing rabbits, I figure that can always breed size down. (If I can find a small buck in Ontario)...THAT's my challenge

Latest posts

Back