Color question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what colors might I get when I breed my broken chocolate doe to my self black buck. She is pedigreed and has broken chocolate, blue, chocolate, lilac, broken lilac, broken black, otter-black, and white all in her pedigree. My buck I never got a ped for but got to see his parents which was a self blue and self black. I know I'm probably going to just have to wait till I breed them next yr to see but I was just curious what you guys might think/say the colors she might have. I know when I bred my buck to my black tort doe they had 5 black torts, 1 blue tort and 1 self black. I was told that he probably carries dilute and non-extension. I'm still learning so I really don't know what that means.

The doe is probably aa bb C_ D_ E_ Enen
since since she is chocolate. If her sire or dam were blue or lilac, then she will carry dilute.
If either were REW [ruby eye white] she will carry albino "c"
Even if one of them was blue, since she is chocolate, she cannot carry black,
but since the buck IS black he will contribute that gene to at least half of the kits.

The buck is probably aa B_ C_ Dd Ee enen

You will get at least 1/2 black & 1/2 broken kits.
If he carries brown, you can get chocolate kits. If he does not, you will get all black.
If she carries dilute you can get blue. And if she carries dilute and he carries brown you can get lilac.
If she carries non-extension you can also get tort.

You will NOT get any otter or agouti, since both rabbits are self and that is the most recessive
and they cannot carry those genes.

Well this is how her pedigree looks.

-----------------------------------------Chocolate
------------------------Chocolate
(Sire)Broken Chocolate
-----------------------------------------Broken Black
------------------------Broken Chocolate
-----------------------------------------Broken Black

(My Doe)Broken Chocolate

-----------------------------------------Otter-Black
------------------------Lilac
-----------------------------------------White
(Dam)Blue
-----------------------------------------Broken Lilac
------------------------Broken Lilac

And for my buck his sire was black and dam was blue but thats all I know about him.

If I am reading it right your broken chocolate doe had a blue mother who in turn had two lilac parents which is impossible - two lilac can ONLY produce all lilac based kits (excluding himi, REW or BEW)

Anyway - it looks like your doe is
= aa Bb CC (with a 25% chance of Cc) Dd EE (slim possibility of Ee)

so when bred to your black buck
= aa B_ C_ Dd Ee

You should get 75% broken or solid black and 25% broken or solid blues

If they carry the recessives Caroline mentioned you might get solid or broken chocolate, white, lilac or torts

Your reading it right. Thats what I thought too. I didn't think it was possible for 2 lilac's to have a blue. So is her pedigree wrong? I'm so confused about the Dam's side. I thought a blue can't come from 2 lilacs. And how did a lilac come from a black otter and white? Also can a broken lilac and chocolate have a broken lilac?

Anyways I think I'm understanding what your saying. I guess Im just really curious if they will have a blue or broken blue since I'm starting to like that color as well.

With hidden recessives those colours are all possible but NOT a blue from two lilac.

Hummm.... on second thought I suspect the broken lilac grandparent was a actually a broken blue tort so you might have a better chance of some torts in the litter.

I talked to the breeder I got my broken chocolate doe from. I asked about the 2 lilac's making a blue. And thought that couldn't happen. She told me that the blue doe which is the dam to my doe has 2 broken blue and a blue otter in her line. I asked her how far back and she said it would be my doe's ggg. So I'm guess that would be the fourth generation for my doe. So is it possible to have a lilac?

I've had stuff show up from off an 8 generation pedigree. Not just on one pedigree. I bought a chocolate with 8 generations of chocolate and black and a blue doe with 5 generations of blue. I got a self harlequin one litter. :lol: Unfortunately it died and I'd sold the buck. Any recessive is really possible no matter how many generations go by. The odds lessen but unless you've test bred enough to be pretty confident something is not there then there's always a chance.

A blue cannot come from lilacs though since blue is the dilute of black and lilacs are the dilute of chocolate. You can't get black based colors from 2 chocolate based colors.

preciousgurl63":25rpyxft said:
I talked to the breeder I got my broken chocolate doe from. I asked about the 2 lilac's making a blue. And thought that couldn't happen. She told me that the blue doe which is the dam to my doe has 2 broken blue and a blue otter in her line. I asked her how far back and she said it would be my doe's ggg. So I'm guess that would be the fourth generation for my doe. So is it possible to have a lilac?
Not from two lilacs.

Someone has misidentified a colour - it happens - frequently :mrgreen: and is not a big deal.

A broken with a lot of white and very little colour can be hard to ID which is why I thought maybe a blue tort since they have a lot if brown undertones but who knows :shrug:

If you get any torts in this litter then my guess is probably correct

Ok. Well I guess I'm just going to have to wait till next spring to find out what they have. I will be sure to post it

Latest posts

Back