Coat condition?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaMae

Reaction score
Hi all. I am new to the forum. I have a 2 year old flemish giant buck. This year he just looks kind of rough and he doesn't have a sleek shiny coat like normal. It is more scruffy and dull, almost like he never shed his winter coat. He kinda just looks old to me... Is that normal? Or is it something I should be worried about? I attached a pick from today versus a pick from last summer.

Attachments

• 20220622_124902.jpg
    20220622_124902.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220622_180936.jpg
    20220622_180936.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 8
When was the last time you wormed him?

Being on the ground he could have easily picked up a parasite and a moderate parasitic load can cause poor coat condition.

If he were mine, I'd take a sample for a vet to do a fecal or give him a course of panacur. Then I'd make sure he were eating a food high in omega 3 fatty acids (Look for a pellet formulated with linseed/flax), give a supplement like calf manna or flax seed or offer purslane as a fresh green (it is growing abundantly in my area this time of year, easy to identify and forage. One of the highest plant based source of Omega 3 known)

Latest posts

Back