Clump of hair

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay2322

Reaction score
I have a doe and a buck together but they've been together since they were babies. Doe is flemish x New zealand (Muffin) and buck is just Flemish Giant (Smokie). My dad and I were working on a big new rabbit house when I saw a clump of hair that looked like Muffin's in the pen.

My dad seemed to think they had just been scrapping but I do know that doe's pull their hair soon before they have kits. The only other sign there could be is recently there has been more pellets left over then usual. Please keep in mind, this was four days ago.

What do you all think?

How old are they?

Just one tuft of hair can be from moulting, some dominance humping or the real thing, quite some possibilities.

If she's really pregnant and it's a whole nest - remove the buck right away. When they start nest building and pulling fur that's hard to miss (if they do it properly, some first timers don't get it right, espcially with a buck around messing things up), running around with hay or fur in their mouth, looking somewhat dazed.

If you have them for breeding, I don't think keeping them together is a good idea.

How old are they?

Just one tuft of hair can be from moulting, some dominance humping or the real thing, quite some possibilities.

If she's really pregnant and it's a whole nest - remove the buck right away. When they start nest building and pulling fur that's hard to miss (if they do it properly, some first timers don't get it right, espcially with a buck around messing things up), running around with hay or fur in their mouth, looking somewhat dazed.

If you have them for breeding, I don't think keeping them together is a good idea.
They are 7 months and of course, it would be her first time and we aren't breeding them. It was just one big tuft in the middle of the pen.

if you want to breed them and you want to keep them together then maybe get one of them fixed.

I would keep a close eye on muffin to see if she pulls out anymore fur.
Alright. Thanks

I have a doe and a buck together but they've been together since they were babies. Doe is flemish x New zealand (Muffin) and buck is just Flemish Giant (Smokie). My dad and I were working on a big new rabbit house when I saw a clump of hair that looked like Muffin's in the pen.

My dad seemed to think they had just been scrapping but I do know that doe's pull their hair soon before they have kits. The only other sign there could be is recently there has been more pellets left over then usual. Please keep in mind, this was four days ago.

What do you all think?
It could be the buck tried to mount the doe, that happens at times! If she's not avidly pulling hair and/or stuffing a whole buncho hay in her mouth and making a nest, I wouldn't worry about kits, but the males grab the females when they breed and when they fall off sometimes they rip a clump of hair with them

It could be the buck tried to mount the doe, that happens at times! If she's not avidly pulling hair and/or stuffing a whole buncho hay in her mouth and making a nest, I wouldn't worry about kits, but the males grab the females when they breed and when they fall off sometimes they rip a clump of hair with them
Thank you!

You say you aren't breeding them but it's almost guaranteed she is pregnant. Separate them right away. Bucks become intensely attracted to does when kindling and will trample the kits in their efforts to breed the doe. If she's not pregnant, well you said you aren't breeding them and if you don't remove him they will breed unless they are the same sex.

Boy bunnies n girl bunnies make lots of little bunnies. And are sexual capable of doing this at 6 months. I'd be surprised if you don't have kits.

6 months? Nope, they don't always wait that long. Youngest accidentially pregnant doeling I had kindled before she was full 5 months - and my rabbits are rather big, 10lbs, small breeds mature faster.
6 months is an ok age to breed them on purpose.

Back