Cleared out some blood clots

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
I decided to rebreed Cuddles. But before I put her in, I decided to check her vulva. Up until today, every time I tried to check her, she would freak out. Today she was very calm and compliant. Her vulva was white... then I noticed something strange. At first I thought some poop was stuck in her coat. Nope. There were blood clots stuck in her birth canal on both sides. I gently removed them - she was totally unbothered by this - and cleaned away everything. There was a slight foul odor on one side which makes me wonder if she has an infection.

Obviously, I did not rebreed her.

Should I administer antibiotics? She's never been a big eater or drinker so I can't tell if she's eating less or not. We have LA200 that we use on the cattle. Is it okay to give her a small dose of that? What is the unit by weight?

So she was pregnant and something happened. Guess the little bit of lavender helped empty her uterus.

I'm sad that she didn't produce a litter but mostly I am concerned for her health. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I didn't know if I should use any antiseptics on the area or not. Her skin is not torn but there's a little bit of a dried, cream colored film. Should I try to empty out her uteruses (uterii??) manually? I just want to be sure she's okay.

I wish I had some advice for you, but this is beyond my experience. If you could get her to take some more lavender, it might help clear out anything remaining. Maybe dip it in sugar water?

I don't know what that would look like. But I believe these were definitely blood.

You could flush her out with a "douche"... if you have a rubber "bulb syringe" (commonly used to suck mucous out of baby noses) you could try using that to squirt the solution into her vaginal cavity. Post birth, my midwife recommended a douche of povidine/iodine solution. It is basically Betadine- I forget the exact ratio, but just mix betadine with warm water so it looks like tea. It may help, and I doubt it will harm her as long as you are not forceful.

I would continue with the lavender as MaggieJ suggested... perhaps you could make a lavender tisane (or tea) and mix that with her water.<br /><br />__________ Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:24 am __________<br /><br />The scent glands are on either side of their "hoochies" on the outside- and are little pockets with a very musky smelling "paste".

Ok. images.google.com is an amazing tool. I think ladysown is correct and they were clogged scent glands. But I swear, they looked like blood clots and the non-dried part was blood red. I'm going to check her again later and see if there's anything else.

Man this has been quite a learning experience.

Well, that's a relief, eh? Good catch, Ladysown! Clogged scent glands didn't even occur to me.

If her vulva is white, Sharon, I'd give her a little time before trying to rebreed her. She's more likely to be receptive if it is dark pink to purplish red. I think, under the circumstances, I would wait a week or so anyway.

Yah, when I saw the white vulva my first thought was, "Sorry dude. You're not gettin' lucky today!" lol

:hmm: Im not sure i understand what" both sides of her birth canal " might mean, rabbits only have one vaginal opening.....Some time the sent glands can get icky with stuff that can sometimes seem like dried blood i guess, and that is near the vent....and with the slight foul odor you mentioned , it was most likely the sent glands ...

It was the scent glands.

I saw openings and thought... well... who knows.. I know MY anatomy but not necessarily all of a rabbit's anatomy! LOL

Latest posts

Back