Chunky single kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionheadBuns

Reaction score
I have a 3-week old kit that seems a bit off. The doe was a new mom and had a difficult pregnancy and birth. She's a smaller-sized lionhead, but the buck is even smaller than her. She had two stillborn and one living kit. He looked like a blueberry the first week. Or perhaps an engorged tick...I was worried about splayed legs but he seems to be getting around ok. It's just his activity level. it's extremely low compared to other kits we've had. He's also a bit "mushy" when he's held or on his own, he seems to almost pass out. His eyes are open, and he's attempting to eat. I'm assuming that's going well since he's so rolly poley. Any advice is appreciated. Do you think he's a bit lazy because he's an only? He wanders quite a bit, but the doe isn't very affectionate. When he sleeps he looks a bit "mushy" sorry for all the questions. The other buns were just so different! He's also a BEW, my last kits were black torts and a litter of 5.

He could be getting overfed, too. I'm not familiar with the growth of really little bunnies, but on the occasion that I have a sole-surviving kit in a litter, I usually have to restrict the kit to one feeding per day for awhile, putting the kit in with momma for 10 min once per day.

Being very new to raising rabbits, we had a litter of only two and thought they were so cute, being so chunky and roly-poly! Learned the hard way that overfeeding of very small litters causes splay leg, and both ended up very splayed. They don't seem bothered by it and have just reached butcher weight, so will be processed soon, but we won't make that mistake again. Her next litter was only 3, but luckily we had another with 7 born the same weekend so we fostered a few over to even them out to 5 each. If I ever end up with only one or two again, I plan to restrict feedings like SoDak suggested. I'm glad your little chunk isn't splayed, but please be careful!

Latest posts

Back