Chocolate Tri + Broken Castor = Himi??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
How does that work out? This is the oddest litter I've had to date as far as color goes. I'm 99.9% sure the one kit is a blue or lilac himi, too young and points are still too light to tell for sure but there are points. I purposely bred a chocolate tri color (tri color, red, lynx, and harlequin background) and broken castor (castor, broken castor, rew, and broken black background) to better the type/fur on my tri colors with expectations of broken/solid ambers, castor, blacks, and very slight chance of chocolates and rews. The rest of the litter is rew or least looks to be rew at this point as no points and broken castor. The last litter the broken castor doe had was castor, broken castor, black, and broken black but was a different buck. The tri color buck has not produced a himi (or martinized) kit otherwise but has produced some torted tri colors.

To get a himi one of the parents has to carry himi and the other himi or rew. When you put himi with rew the himi wins. However you cannot get a himi and a rew from 2 full color parents. REW requires 2 rew genes and to get a himi one parent only has himi so you are short a rew gene. All the whites would have to be himi.

Hmm interesting. I never expected himi to show up. IF ends up being a better type/furred then the others, can it be used to breed back to sire for tri/harlequins or ? I'm not really familiar with himi make up :/ I had blue himis for a very short time and seen some blacks with sables but always kept them separate. <br /><br /> -- Fri May 09, 2014 3:19 am -- <br /><br /> Also wondering if I'd be correct in assuming that if I breed the tri to a rew and only got rew, then it would mean that the broken castor would be himi carrier correct? I have a rew who is a broken black charlie really out of broken black/broken black is why I ask.

Breeding broken to broken will produce Charlie's as well as broken and solids - perhaps the white ones are very minimally marked Charlie's

Because both parents are agouti based (unless they are torted harlequins) it is highly unlikely you have a lilac himi - more likely is a castor, amber, opal or lynx himi. You can tell because the underside of the tail will be white as in all agouti based rabbits (except if wideband is involved :mrgreen: )

I'd be happier with a Charlie lol. I've got one true Charlie in the litter, I guess I will just have to wait and see....waiting is never fun. Thank you both so much though! I will have to post some pictures once they get a bit bigger so can see.

Latest posts

Back