Chickens!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
Sooo... I couldn't resist forever... :lol: At work we started getting chicks in mid February. I bought six bantams, straight run. I keep telling myself that means I'll end up with some roosters to sell and keep the hens or end up with a bunch of roosters :roll: But I know someone locally who has Icelandic chickens so I could keep a couple bantams with them if I get some of those. Or I'll end up with a few bantams and see where it goes...

If you follow the link you can click over for two clips of them.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTevlfZBwkE/

Cute!

We started hatching out some replacements for our older hens. We had three lavenders at about five weeks old when a lady came over to buy some rabbits. She had been looking for lavenders so...sold them to her as she was so nice.

CrazyFools - love the new name and logo!!

I get meat chickens (aka meat balls) and at 3 weeks they are NOT cute anymore.... :(
I have a big incubator (300 egg) and a small incubator that I use as a hatcher.... so I could hatch 36 or so chicks a week if I wanted too.... (I have... It was so fun!!) But I live in town now and no chickens allowed..... so I have to wait for the farm.... 3 years and counting!!

I caved and bought 8 chicks and 2 ducks last night.... they are illegally hanging out in the brooder (I have yet to disassemble) in the covered area beside my garage.....

I need to get the meatballs out to the tractor today, and clean the brooder.... then move the layer chicks into the brooder.....

I'm a sucker for little peepers!!

SarniaTricia":673mkui7 said:

I get meat chickens (aka meat balls) and at 3 weeks they are NOT cute anymore.... :(

Thanks Sarnia!

The meat balls aren't cute at 3 weeks? Not even that "You're so gosh darn ugly it's adorable" stage? I just miss having chickens in general. Growing up we had barred rocks and game hens, they were all my special pets with names and personalities. Until Dad ate them of course.. :roll:

2CrazyFools":1tznjepw said:
SarniaTricia":1tznjepw said:

Thanks Sarnia!

The meat balls aren't cute at 3 weeks? Not even that "You're so gosh darn ugly it's adorable" stage? I just miss having chickens in general. Growing up we had barred rocks and game hens, they were all my special pets with names and personalities. Until Dad ate them of course.. :roll:

Nope... Meat Chickens (white broilers, Cornish X... whatever you want to call them) are not cute as they start to feather..... ugly, smelly, poop makers!
I am never so glad to process at 8-9 weeks..... I actually drive 2 hours to get them done for resale... :) I have people that are looking for alternative raising methods for chickens and turkey.... I have them at a farm in a tractor on pasture .... they grow great and get tones of fresh air and sunshine and I feed and water them daily and they get moved 2x a day to fresh grass, so they don't sit in their own poop. (if you have ever seen the conditions of a commercial meat chicken farm... you would be totally grossed out!)

I really like layer hens and heritage breed chickens! I have stories from when I lived on a farm for a couple of years about many of my animals..... I have kept hens well past laying, because I considered them more pets. Currently in a subdivision and can't have "livestock" .... working hard to fix the living arrangements.... Maybe a winning lottery ticket would expedite things... anyone want to give me one? :D :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Fri May 12, 2017 9:27 am __________ <br /><br /> Also, just booked the processing for the birds..... they are going to be really big... as I couldn't get the week I wanted! ;) should have booked farther ahead!.....

Latest posts

Back