Chicken Update+Questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So for anyone who read about our chickens becoming infected with Coccidiosis a little while ago. Here's an update on everything, and I have a few questions as well.

(Maybe a month ago)
I treated the chickens with Corid for 5 days, and monitored their droppings since that is the thing that would tell me for sure of the meds were taking, at first there were a chicken, or 2 that had a light spot, or 2 of blood in their poop, but NOTHING like it was. I continued to watch them for a few more days, and saw that all the girls droppings were completely blood free, the diarrhea was gone, and now their droppings are back to normal. After we had treated them we gave great thought to free ranging again, but were nervous due to the chickens being attacked my someone's dog, and the chickens running around in a panic caused the neighbors barn cat to take notice, and kill one of the girls. I told my husband that I truly felt that since the dog was gone, and I really think the only reason the cat got involved was, because of the chickens flapping around.

So we gave it a few days, and I figured what the heck. If somethings happens to them, I'd rather them be outside, free, and happy rather them just dying in a old coop. So I flung open the door, and they came running out! I kept a close eye on them for the first day, and they did great. Even the barn cats got along well with the ladies. It has been a week now, and I let them out each morning, and close the coop door at night. They are doing so much better than before. Happier, look healthier.

My question is now. Since winter is upon us, and I know the snow isn't going to hold off forever. Can I still free range them in winter, and let them run around in the snow?

So glad they are doing better!

We have a coop and a covered run area that our chickens can exit to the yard at will. Depending on the weather, they decide on their own. Sometimes they roam when it's not actively snowing, but I am more alert at those times for hawks and such.

My chickens have the option of going outside whenever they want. They go outside as long as the snow isn't too deep, I have even gone out and shoveled a path for them since they love to go out. :lol:

My chicken run is not sheltered, so if it snows they have no choice but to go in the snow unless they stay in the henhouse itself. I've never had any trouble with their feet.

I have seen frostbitten wattles and combs when we have had temps in the teens, but that has nothing to do with the snow- just cold temperatures.

We don't get much snow, so mine are a bit perplexed by it. I still give them the option, and sometimes they do go out. Normally there are just a lot of foot prints in a 2 ft radius around the door and that's about it :lol: . Mine go out in most any weather. I know it's going to get ugly if even my tree roosters (hens that roost in the trees) go in the coop at night.

I live in Ohio we get snow every Winter at some point...could be 2 feet or a dusting...just never know. I have always let mine free range in any weather, but always leave the coop door open so if they prefer to stay inside they can....they won't usually stay in snow covered areas for long periods but they do enjoy the freedom and scratching around...going back and forth from coop to under the deck and just to frolic in snow...just make sure they have the possibility to freely get out of the snow if needed.

Latest posts

Back