Chewy rabbit...what did I do wrong?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I ground pure rabbit tonight. I mixed it with an egg, Italian bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, oregano, basil and paprika. Put it in a loaf pan, baked it for an hour @ 350*. A new favorite!
That sounds good!

More likely the rabbit was not cured properly after dispatching it. If cooked before allowing it to go completely thru rigor or even frozen before it went thru rigor, and then defrosted and cooked, it will be tough. There is a thread that talks a great deal about this.
If you could help . . . Where may one find this thread?

We try to reach 5# average live weight. 2-1/2# dressed by 12 weeks. Friers is what the industry calls them. As they get tougher with age. And meat growth slows while appetites increases. Most trying to get tender rabbit meat.
Cooking similar size pieces helps. When we process n freeze. We freeze rear legs together, backs together n such. Remove the meat from the side of the rib cage along with the front leg. In one piece. Then wrap it around the top of the front leg. Belly flap n inners get ground.
We canned up a few cases. Leaving the bone in. Next time we will remove the meat from the bone then can it. Smoking sounds great.
Some folks par boil it then fry or grill. This works well.
We've found that younger friers are less chewy. Also chill for 2-3 days.
On another note. The way they are handled while getting processed. I believe that adrenaline will make the meat more chewy. And try to dispatch them while they are distracted. Placing them in a wire pen with a bit of feed, fresh leaves. Let them chill out n relax a bit. Use a pellet rifle to dispatch. Then remove the head and place them in an upside-down milk jug with the bottom cut out, funnel that keeps them from any bruising. Immediately to bleed out.
Friers are kept dry. We wipe them down good with paper towels. Damp towel. The hide is removed immediately too cool.
Proper handling during the entire life cycle and while processing is key. Different breeds provide different qualities. Our New Zealand does and Californian buck are generally used for strictly meat. They have thin skin. The satin breeds can provide a bit of both quality meat and hide.
Breed and how they are raised n handled during their entire cycle. And how they are processed properly make up a big difference, I believe. And you n family are eating one of the highest quality proteins you can get.
Just like a good milk cow. The happier that they are the better rabbit you will have. Good luck n have fun. I'm going to try some meatloaf.

We noticed a difference in the chewyness of kits who were kept in a small grow out cage, vs the ones we let run around in a grow out tractor.

The ones who did not spend a lot of time running around were much more tender and easier to butcher.

We butcher, rinse, and let them sit in a 5 gallon bucket of ice water until we are done dispatching. We process them all the same way. The only thing we have noticed is that increased activity seems to make a difference in how tender or tough our meat is.

They go straight in to freezer bags and in the freezer after sitting in ice buckets while we dispatch.

We try to reach 5# average live weight. 2-1/2# dressed by 12 weeks. Friers is what the industry calls them. As they get tougher with age. And meat growth slows while appetites increases. Most trying to get tender rabbit meat.
Cooking similar size pieces helps. When we process n freeze. We freeze rear legs together, backs together n such. Remove the meat from the side of the rib cage along with the front leg. In one piece. Then wrap it around the top of the front leg. Belly flap n inners get ground.
We canned up a few cases. Leaving the bone in. Next time we will remove the meat from the bone then can it. Smoking sounds great.
Some folks par boil it then fry or grill. This works well.
We've found that younger friers are less chewy. Also chill for 2-3 days.
On another note. The way they are handled while getting processed. I believe that adrenaline will make the meat more chewy. And try to dispatch them while they are distracted. Placing them in a wire pen with a bit of feed, fresh leaves. Let them chill out n relax a bit. Use a pellet rifle to dispatch. Then remove the head and place them in an upside-down milk jug with the bottom cut out, funnel that keeps them from any bruising. Immediately to bleed out.
Friers are kept dry. We wipe them down good with paper towels. Damp towel. The hide is removed immediately too cool.
Proper handling during the entire life cycle and while processing is key. Different breeds provide different qualities. Our New Zealand does and Californian buck are generally used for strictly meat. They have thin skin. The satin breeds can provide a bit of both quality meat and hide.
Breed and how they are raised n handled during their entire cycle. And how they are processed properly make up a big difference, I believe. And you n family are eating one of the highest quality proteins you can get.
Just like a good milk cow. The happier that they are the better rabbit you will have. Good luck n have fun. I'm going to try some meatloaf.
We have also noticed a difference in the meat between ages, handling, activity levels, and dispatching methods. I agree that if they are afraid at the time of dispatch, the meat is gamey, just like a deer that is hit on the highway and lays there alive, hurt, scared, and anxious before death.

Back