Check Me Out!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow!!!

I'm thinking I'll get 2 does and a buck ready to breed and then get two more does from their kits building 4 more cages 2 at a time.

My husband want Californian which I haven't found nearby. I haven't found many for sale near me so far. I did in Mebane but there's not a lot of info on the webpage. There were silver foxes for sale on Craigslist so that might be what we get. I think I've seen new zealands too. I've just been trying to keep my eyes open for now. I think my almost 15 year old is going to love this.
If you think you or your almost 15 year old might want to show rabbits I would recommend starting with good show quality stock! But even if you don't want to show, show quality stock will be much better for meat since they are bred to the SOP.

I wonder if the sprouts are different, the method of serving is different, or the rabbits are?

I can't see mine caring about alfalfa sprouts--not that they would not like them, but they would spill and trample them looking for the "real" veggies. If I gave them more mature small plants ("microgreens" in a fancy store) they would like them, but likely leave any with soil on them. They eat weed sprouts as long as they are bigger and clean, but the tiny stuff is beneath them apparently!

I wonder if the sprouts are different, the method of serving is different, or the rabbits are?

I can't see mine caring about alfalfa sprouts--not that they would not like them, but they would spill and trample them looking for the "real" veggies. If I gave them more mature small plants ("microgreens" in a fancy store) they would like them, but likely leave any with soil on them. They eat weed sprouts as long as they are bigger and clean, but the tiny stuff is beneath them apparently!
Exactly!

My breeding trio had only been on a pellet diet when I collected them last September. I slowly introduced cut hay from my field and field greens - comfrey, ribwort plantain, dandelion. I added apples from my orchard and then apple and oak branches over the winter. I also slowly introduced carrots, sweed and some kitchen green scraps. They were not fussed with sprouts or red cabbage. Now we are into spring and they have kits, I am foraging for field flowers in addition to the greens for the 'all you can eat salad bar' they are still getting pellets and some oats. My next step will be to introduce sprouting oat seeds and fodder over the summer. I am hoping to reduce pellets to 30% of the daily feed program by the autumn. The sprouting seeds threads in the forum have been super helpful in shaping my planning.

Latest posts

Back