cheap inexpensive waters?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfb4me

Reaction score
Is there such a thing? I dont want to invest in a watering system just as of yet. Cash is a little on the tight side for now. Were looking for somthing that will hold enough water to last a couple of days and without taking up any cage space. Were using crocks with small pop bottles in them. They get drained daily. Id like somthing that would supply fresh water for 2 days. Does anyone here have any ideas? :x Ill have to put my thinking cap on and see what I come up with..

you can buy just the nozzles and use 2 L pop bottles maybe. But that may be a little too heavy for the nozzles. Prices vary. Check your local feed store and maybe they can order some in.

I may look into that. The nozzels we have here are not long enough to use 2litre bottles. I want to build my own irrigation system as we do tend to travel most weekends thru the summer months. Or just have somthing that will hold enough water to last 2 or 3 days..of they would be tried tested and true bfeore we left them for any amount of time.

just be careful in the summer if the bottles are in sunlight, if your rabbits are outside. Their water may get too warm so that they don't drink. :) and hay racks are a good idea (if you don't already have some) for when you go away. Then you can give them enough hay to last the weekend without it being soiled on the cage floor.

Whatever you decide on in the way of a watering system, I strongly recommend giving the cages a good sturdy crock of water as well. It's good insurance if something goes wrong. Straight sided casserole dishes, old pots with the handle removed... Doesn't have to be expensive. Try yard sales and thrift shops.

Edited to add:

I should have put in there somewhere to add the crocks when you are going to be away or while testing a new water system. Maybe it was obvious that was what I meant, but reading it again, I wasn't sure.

Grerat idea!I was wondering about a failsafe. The hay rack is also a good idea.. I have been meaning to build one for each hutch. How would one go about building a hay rack anyway??

tfb4me":kbwvdoms said:
Grerat idea!I was wondering about a failsafe. The hay rack is also a good idea.. I have been meaning to build one for each hutch. How would one go about building a hay rack anyway??

I just used the leftover wire from cutting door holes in my cages and bent them....Here is a pic/
Sonic with hay rack.jpg

I read somewhere that someone picked up cheap magazine racks at...Ikea I think it was...and attached them to cages with zip ties. I always just bent extra cage wire and c-clipped it to the cage.

To make the hay rack removable, just leave a few (like 4) pieces of wire long when cutting the pieces out. Then just bend them into place to hold the hay rack on the cage, making sure the wire ends aren't poking into the cage. Did I make any sense? LOL

Latest posts

Back