Cheap and easy winter water idea

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We all hate those cold days when the water freezes and we freeze our hands trying to keep the bunnies in drinking water. I used to use this system when our rabbits were in individual cages and thought I'd post about it even though the rabbits are now in a colony with a rubber bowl for water.

I bought those plastic food containers, the square ones that used to sell 3/$1 at Dollarama. Something like these:
http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/Co ... 4%20ounces

Any square or rectangular containers that nest will work. The ones I used held about 16 oz. of water. I used two for each cage.

One I pierced with an ice pick, four times near the rim on one side and a few times on the base for drainage. I wired it through the holes in two places so I could attach it to the cage wire. This serves as a holder and stays in place permanently. A second container nests inside and this liner is what actually holds the water.

I'd take a bucket of hot water down to the rabbitry. I'd open the cage, lift out the frozen liner and float it in the bucket. The ice block unmoulds almost instantly can be dumped out. Then I'd scoop up warm water and replace the liner in the holder. Close the cage and I'm done.

The plastic boxes take quite a long time to freeze to the point where the rabbits cannot get a drink. In extreme cold, I made three trips a day, but for most of the winter, morning and late afternoon is enough. I know a lot of people prefer water bottles, but I just wanted to post this as a cheap and easy alternative.

If you wear rubber gloves (the kind for dishwashing) your hands will stay fairly comfortable and you can warm them in the bucket if you need to without getting them wet. No chapped hands!

Occasionally you get a rabbit that likes to fling dishes and so forth around the cage. I found a clip like you would use for closing a bag of potato chips helped to discourage this.

This system worked well for me. I hope it is of some use to others as well.

Thank you! One of my does just made it clear she's not getting enough. She was pawing at the water to have me put it down faster. My other doe is not eating much. I will add a lunch water along with the late night one I've had going past few nights and see if that helps. Crazy girls get their dewlap in the water. Buck drinks from the opposite side of the bowl from his body, getting his chin all wet, getting water on their paws in the freezing cold. Doing my best to help them. What characters!

Thank you! One of my does just made it clear she's not getting enough. She was pawing at the water to have me put it down faster. My other doe is not eating much. I will add a lunch water along with the late night one I've had going past few nights and see if that helps. Crazy girls get their dewlap in the water. Buck drinks from the opposite side of the bowl from his body, getting his chin all wet, getting water on their paws in the freezing cold. Doing my best to help them. What characters!
If you use my idea, try wiring the holder a bit higher up on the cage wall. This should help keep the rabbits dry when they drink. Silly bunnies!

@MaggieJ GREAT idea. I think the fact that the bowls are doubled adds to the insulating factor. Wonder if it was really cold if quilt batting or similar would increase it more?

Here in Texas it doesn't get cold that often (unless we're entering the forecast ice age, in which case I really need to pay attention to these ideas) - it came to me this morning that your idea would be great in reverse for hot days.

Two sets of bowls, stick one in the freezer overnight, and put it in the cage in the morning. That way when the temp was over 100F they would have cool water.

Great idea you had! Thanks!!!

- Liz

@MaggieJ GREAT idea. I think the fact that the bowls are doubled adds to the insulating factor. Wonder if it was really cold if quilt batting or similar would increase it more?

Here in Texas it doesn't get cold that often (unless we're entering the forecast ice age, in which case I really need to pay attention to these ideas) - it came to me this morning that your idea would be great in reverse for hot days.

Two sets of bowls, stick one in the freezer overnight, and put it in the cage in the morning. That way when the temp was over 100F they would have cool water.

Great idea you had! Thanks!!!

- Liz
Glad you like it, Liz. It would be worth trying in hot weather in reverse. A slightly larger container would likely stay cold longer in the heat.

I love low-tech, low-cost solutions to management problems, and I enjoy sharing them.

I found the 32oz square contain easier to use. When it dropped below freezing the 24oz retangular containers accidentally were cracked. But now I know if it is that cold I need to soak out the ice instead of pop it out, so that might still work......

Last edited:
I found the 32oz square contain easier to use. When it dropped below freezing the 24oz retangular containers accidentally were cracked. But now I know if it is that cold I need to soak out the ice instead of pop it out, so that might still work......
If you take a bucket of hot water to the rabbits, you can melt ice out of the containers in a few seconds, without popping it out. The ice cools the hot water enough so you can just dip the container full and put it back in the cage. With rubber gloves, you can also warm your hands if the weather is very severe. Before I used this method, I'd come back in the house with my fingers hurting from the cold.

Back