Changing feed to prevent enteritis due to weather changes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
Recently there have been so many reported cases of enteritis which may possibly be linked to weather changes, that I am going to change my feeding protocol according to the weather in hopes that I may prevent it in my herd.

My plan is to feed only hay, grains, and slightly less greens (or no greens?) to the kits when the temperature drops dramatically, assuming it is drops in temperature and not increases that cause the problem. Does with kits out of the nest will be fed the same rations.

Has anyone perceived a difference in rolled versus whole oats in treating diarrhea? My mix consists of wheat, barley, BOSS, and oats. I use rolled oats in the mix for the very youngest kits for the first few days, then they all get fed whole oats. If there is a benefit to rolled versus whole for GI problems I can feed everyone the rolled oat mix instead.

Certain greens are very safe - and even help deal with diarrhea. The leaves of blackberry, raspberry and strawberry plants and the lawn weeds plantain and shepherd's purse are beneficial. I also believe that some willow helps in times of stress... This more of a hunch than something I have proof of. Willow is believed to be a coccidiostat for rabbits. If the kits have greens from the beginning, I don't think they are a factor in these enteritis episodes.

I can't answer your question about the merits of kitchen rolled oats versus whole oats. I use the kitchen oats as you do, for young kits just beginning on solids but there is whole grain available too. I never know how much the kits actually get, with momma there to hog the feed bowl. I do feel that for stressed rabbits, kitchen oats may be both more palatable and easier to digest. We always have a bag in the kitchen and dip into it as needed for the buns.

We know with infant kits that if they are cold they cannot digest momma's milk, even if they manage to nurse. I believe that sudden drops in temperature may affect the digestion of youngsters even after full weaning. Again, this is just an idea I have... No proof.

These enteritis outbreaks seem to have these things in common:
- pellet feeding or mainly pellet feeding
- drops or wild fluctuations in temperature
- lack of some kind of box to help them retain heat.

I am in no way condemning pelleted diets for rabbits, in spite of my bias toward natural feeding. I do believe, however, that pellets are more difficult to digest than the hay/grain/greens. Add to this the stress of difficulty in keeping warm and it seems to add up to a greater possibility of enteritis. I think that feeding grass hay in addition to the pellets and providing a box of some kind, even a closed cardboard carton with a bunny-sized door cut into it, could help prevent these losses.

I'd like to add that there may be a genetic predisposition to GI problems. Some rabbit lines seem more resistant than others. When buying breeding stock, the incidence of enteritis in the young could be worth asking about.

I don't think we have the whole story yet, but the silver lining to these outbreaks is that we can begin to see patterns. I would appreciate the input of others on this important topic.

I don't have any plantain that I know of, but I am pretty certain I have Shepherd's Purse. I will post a pic. The berry vines aren't leafed out yet, and the strawberry bed got infested with Bermuda Grass so we let them die last year. There is willow growing by the creek, I think- I will harvest some at some point and post pics. I also told Hubs we are buying a willow tree. :)

A drop in water consumption may also be a factor. Perhaps offering electrolytes would boost consumption.

Electrolytes are probably a good idea for any stressed rabbit. Dehydration and chilling go hand in hand, don't they? If they won't take the electrolytes, I'd try chamomile tea or that Raspberry Zinger. Both are apparently very appetizing beverages among rabbits.

MamaSheepdog, if your dear "Sistah" forwards seeds to you, you will find some plantain seeds there. It's easy to grow.

I think I'll try the chamomile tea in the automatic system- I don't have the RZ tea. I can brew a big pot and also hang tea bags in the bucket.

I'll pm OAF and see if she has sent them out yet. Our mailbox is almost 2 miles away, so we don't check it daily unless we are eagerly expecting something!

Back