changing cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmgeary

Reaction score
My 2 does had there first litters 4 days ago :D We made larger cages for them as the ones we had are on the small side. Unfortunately we didn't have them finished before kitting. Will moving cages at this point upset the does? One doe is very relaxed & friendly, the other has become VERY aggressive since kitting (she is the one I'm more concerned about getting uspet by the move). if it may upset them, how long should I wait before moving them to their new cages? Will the doe that has become aggressive be that way for every litter?

Thanks,
Rachel

I am sure you will get an answer Rachel, I am sorry I don't know the answer.

I just wanted to welcome you to RT!

Hi Rachel!

:hi: to RabbitTalk. :)

Your mellow doe probably wont care at all, but I am not sure about Ms. Aggressive. You might want to wait to move her until her kits start coming out of the nest, at which point she will appreciate a bit more room.

In any case, what I would do is move the doe(s) in the morning, leaving the nest in the old cage for the day or at least a few hours. This will (hopefully) give the doe time to establish a "potty corner". Then you will know where to place the nest box so she does not use it as a litter box.

I would encourage you to spend some time with the aggressive doe. Pet her when you feed her. Wear gloves if necessary if you believe she will bite. You may want to remove her from her cage for 5-10 minutes a day and place her on your lap or a table and pet her there since she will be less aggressive if not in her cage.

When you put her back in her cage, make sure you do so rear end first so she does not leap from your hands. I grip the shoulders of my rabbits with one hand and have the other under their abdomen. When you set her down, push gently on her shoulders to pin her in place, and continue petting her until she relaxes, and then release her. If you simply set her down and allow her to race away, she will think she has escaped a predator, and will do so again the next time.

Give her a treat (some weeds or greens, a small piece of apple or carrot, or a horse cookie) so she thinks of the whole "ordeal" as a positive experience.

Next time she kindles, make sure to pet her soon after she births the kits. A hormone called prolactin is released during labor and nursing, and is responsible for the bonding between mother and offspring. It is often called the "feel good hormone" because it produces a loving euphoria. Use it to your advantage!

Good luck! We are all looking forward to hearing more about your rabbits, and seeing pictures of them and your set up!

:welcomewagon: Welcome to RabbitTalk!!

MamaSheepdog gave you great advice. :) Some does stay aggressive like that with every litter, but most settle down after a litter or two. She'll settle down faster if you do what MamaSheepdog suggested.

I have a doe who is not really aggressive, but a Nervous Nellie. After all the litters she's had, she actually charged and bit my hand the day her most recent kits were born. :roll: She didn't do it hard at all... I have sensitive skin, and it didn't even bother to turn red where she got me. I was like, "Really? After all this time?" Silly doe. I pulled my hand out and waited a while. The next day she was back to coming up asking for head rubs. :roll:

You can smile about it when all you get is pinched, but when they really sink their teeth into you, that's a whole 'nother situation.

The same thing happened to me- I ordered a big cage and it came the day after my doe kindled. I thought changing cages might upset her so I kept her in her original slightly too small cage— but then the babies came out of the nest and where bouncing all over her driving her crazy. So I put her in another cage while I pulled the side off her old cage and the side off the new cage and pushed them together and made a giant cage. She loved the extra space. So, If your cages have sides that can come off maybe you can attach the new one to the old one.

Latest posts

Back