Cattle panel shelters, Uber easy!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
So I hand made nearly a ton of hay this weekend! Put it on 4 pallets and then it started to rain. Ran around like a headless chicken, gathering tarps, bags, anything waterproof and tossing it onto my precious hay stash!
Today I took out the two 16ft cattle panels on the pony's side of the barn and tied some wood up in hopes to still contain him. That's working for now, but I'll have to go out and buy 2x6in wood to redo for a more permanent fix.
Stuck 6 3ft TPosts on two sides of the pallets and then flopped up the panels, hoping they wouldn't touch the electric fence and zap the heck outta me.
A few bits of reused bailing twine and then tossed on an old painters tarp. Done!
I'll go back out and use wire to secure it after the rain stops and I find the spool of wire....

Anyway! It was so easy! I have no idea why we wasted $300 for a metal shed when for $60, we could of made this! Same size and portable!!
I'm going to make soooo many of them!!!!

It's height is right at 5ft 8in! Perfect height for me to use these for a zillion things!
Would be easy to add a center support if anyone had so much snow that it would be necessary.
1377557_645801768786668_1916421976_n.jpg

They are panels the last property owners discarded and left to rot under the unkept weedy pasture! I found gates to reuse and other random things, too! It's great! Many of the panels I used for the hog pen, so now I have to buy new ones, but still far cheaper than any other type of shed or shelter!! =D

They seemed like a pretty good idea. Next spring I am thinking of using them to make a roof over the 6 ft dog kennels. And to make a greenhouse over my garden spaces.

Cattle panels are being used in a lot of shelter/tractoring applications-- Hey- they are inexpensive, strong, portable etc--and they can also be stored easily, Heck, I can even move one- only difficult thing-- getting them home from wherever if one does not have a truck! :bunnyhop:

You do some "Googling" and you'd be amazed at the versatility of these things.

Scrounge some billboard tarps... They are super cheap.
And you'll have a structure that will last for years.

Good job, by the way.

grumpy.

Ugh, it's been raining hard, nonstop, for days!!!!
I hope when it stops, the grass will grow like crazy so I can make more hay!
Haven't been able to go and replace the tarp, rain just never stops!

I decided to make one as a chicken coop! Much better than turning the run into their coop, but the rain is postponing everything...

Anyone else drowning in rain this week?

__________ Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:15 pm __________

Got some 12x25ft 3.5ml white film and redid the hut. Not enough for one hut.....lol. But it's bone dry in there now! Nice and warm in there, too!

Used the crappy, thin film and made a mini hut out of some mostly ruined panel. Big enough for three goats or the LGD to go in. Goats freaked out and went to the barn instead...Fed the LGD in there, hopefully seeing her use it will get the goats interested.<br /><br />__________ Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:42 pm __________<br /><br />Had to add the tarp, way too hot in there w/o it.
image.php

Everything is nasty here. Rained all summer, and now looks like a wet fall, and barn is flooded. I need to dig a french drain.

I am hoping this is not a prelude to winter, I can see myself buried in snow.

Next spring when I get my job, first order of business is to pave the walkways around the barn.

Since we live on a windy hilltop, if I made that kind of hut it would end up miles away in who-know's-whose backyard, likely mowing down myriad free range cattle along the way. :eek:

I'm glad it works for you though! Lucky you! :D

That's why I used the TPosts, the hut won't go anywhere.
I see a lot of people make a wood frame and only attach the bottom to the wire, nothing to the ground, that is way too frail.

I've seen those round shelters used in some really windy situations and they have stood up well. As long as they are on a base and the base is supported the wind tends to go around the rounded structures rather well. :)

My colframes are built like that but they are only 3-4 feet high and wide and are made from 2x4" welded wire 4' wide. So far I've never had one blow over. When covered with plastic, I use rocks and boards to weight the edges and I make sure they stay closed on windy days. Around here, windy days are usually cold too so the plants like it.
I can't wait to build a large one from a cattle panel. I love sitting in a frame in mid winter on a sunny day. Toasty warm, ahhhhhh! :)

Back