Cat attacked bunny in street, what can I do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammers091302

Reaction score
My mom was walking my dog when she came across a cat and a bunny fighting, the cat ran away but the bunny was badly injured. Our closest emergency vets do not take bunnies, and if they do there is no doctor in that will. We have been giving her kitty milk (as recommended by a pet store because she looks very young) and she’s been pooping and peeing, trying to hop out of the box, etc. We also got some neosporin with pain relief just to try and help with the visible wounds. Is there any recommendations I can get to help her more? We’re hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Also we will be taking her straight to the vet when they open in the morning.

Cat attacks rarely end well. Even a scratch or small puncture can be deadly. Many wildlife rehabbers will deny a cat attack because resources are stretched so thin already, and because they could easily be prevented with responsible pet ownership. I’m sorry you went through this and had to witness this loss because someone else believed that cats should be allowed to free roam.

Cat attacks rarely end well. Even a scratch or small puncture can be deadly. Many wildlife rehabbers will deny a cat attack because resources are stretched so thin already, and because they could easily be prevented with responsible pet ownership. I’m sorry you went through this and had to witness this loss because someone else believed that cats should be allowed to free roam.
Thank you for the reply. I feel lucky to have been with her in her last moments though.

What kind of rabbit was it, wild or domestic? And how big?

If it wasn't a small kit, domestic, less than 3 weeks old, giving milk is very bad advice. But such a small bunny wouldn't put up much of a fight.

Last edited:
What kind of rabbit was it, wild or domestic? And how big?

If it wasn't a small kit, domestic, less than 3 weeks old, giving milk is very bad advice. But such a small bunny wouldn't put up much of a fight.
We found out it was wild afterwards because my research to help figure out what to do didn’t help much before hand. But she wasn’t a baby. I’ll show a picture, she was young because of the white mark on her head that’s fading (at least that’s what I was told. I’m sorry I’m no expert on this and I was just looking for help.)

Attachments

• 9CCB44C5-FCD1-4F0F-8CB2-BF382748C288.jpeg
    9CCB44C5-FCD1-4F0F-8CB2-BF382748C288.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 8
should you ever run into this situation again.... no milk, just wild grasses and a bowl of water. Wild cottontails spook very easily and don't do well in captivity. Cat bites are full of bacteria so it's hard to save them after they've been bitten.

should you ever run into this situation again.... no milk, just wild grasses and a bowl of water. Wild cottontails spook very easily and don't do well in captivity. Cat bites are full of bacteria so it's hard to save them after they've been bitten.
At the time we didn’t know if she was a pet or wild. My mom just didn’t think she should have stayed in the street to die. We went in knowing she had a slim chance of living and we did what we could to make her comfortable with what knowledge we could find on the internet. And I hope I never have this situation again. But I know now what I should do.

We found out it was wild afterwards because my research to help figure out what to do didn’t help much before hand. But she wasn’t a baby. I’ll show a picture, she was young because of the white mark on her head that’s fading (at least that’s what I was told. I’m sorry I’m no expert on this and I was just looking for help.)
Looks a lot like one my cats brought me, chewed its thigh apart and it definitely had internal bleeding in the raw patches, I'm sorry you suffered watching her pass, she looked sweet

Back