Castor & Red Rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheasant283

Reaction score
Anyone have experiance with breeding a Rex Castor buck to a Red doe?? One main herd bucks is Castor. Bred a broken castor doe to him, pretty sure we got some solid red, and broken reds. thinking of keeping a red doe. But just wondering what would happen to the red color if we bred it to a castor?

Why would you do that cross? Thats going to bring smutt and gross stuff into your reds, and going to cause a lot of problems down the road for you in colour, and anyone with those reds trying to raise for show.

If it was me, i wouldnt do it.

So it is probablly best to breed red to red. I just wasnt for sure the reds are new for us, so am just looking for options. but if we kept a doe we would probablly need to get a red buck.

Red to red is best cross. To avoid smut you don't really want to put castor in them, but if you find your reds starting to look more like fawns I would reintroduce castor, or a self colour that is not a dilute (black or chocolate)

Chocolate based reds, tend to give you the more orange look, and you'll be less likely to see smut since it blends in a little better with the red

Black based, you have the little more red reds, but smut shows up much more vs a chocolate based.

If your castor buck has already thrown red kits then there is no problem breeding a daughter back to him. You will get reds and some castors. Depends on the smut level of the doe how much smut or how clean your red will be because that is a modifier that controls that.Modifiers are strange and very random sometimes.They "tend " to run in families but there are always surprises too. Also the shorter the rex fur the better chance of no smut :)

Latest posts

Back