Carrying Rew Gene

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
If a rabbit is solid Gray, or solid Black, does that mean it could still be carrying but not showing a REW gene?
The reason I ask is I have a solid black but the dam was a REW, and I'm thinking about breeding her to another solid blue and one of the grandparents was a REW- would I possibly get REWS cropping up in the litters.

All colors can carry rew. If it's a color of the breed you always have a chance of getting it because it's the most recessive and therefore most hidden gene in rabbits.

squidpop":31epoawo said:
...the dam was a REW...

if a parent is REW, Ruby Eyed White, AKA albino the on the C locus it HAD to have cc which is the most recessive.
ALL its kit will carry the "c" gene
no mater WHAT color they come out.

Then, when they are bred to another rabbit, NO MATTER WHAT COLOR they could have REW kits
because the "c" could be there hidden.

If that rabbit had a REW grandparent, they have a high likelihood of having the gene.

Here is the order of dominance for the C locus:

C-full color- most dominant
chd- dark chinchilla
chl- light chin - sable
ch - himi- californian
c - albino-REW

Each rabbit has two "C" genes. If it is FULL color, like black or chestnut, it MUST have at least one "C" gene but it could still be carrying one of the more recessive as its second gene and could pass that on to half its kits. The best way to guess about this is to have a complete pedigree and then to start keeping records of ALL the colors of ALL the kits each rabbit has.

If a full color rabbits comes from a chin, or sable, or californian, or REW parent, it MUST carry a hidden gene and will statistically pass it onto HALF of its kits.

If a full color rabbit EVER has even ONE sable, chin, californian or REW kit you know it MUST carry the gene for it, although it is hidden in the parent.

All of my rex rabbits, the castors, chins, blues, blacks, brokens, except two, carry REW.

I don't think I've had a mini rex not carrying rew so far and my only not shaded netherland carries. My shadeds are all strict sable x himi lines or shimo who is chin/sable. The rest of my breeds don't have rew as a color.

The solid black is definitely carrying REW from her dam. The solid blue has a 50/50 chance of carrying REW from the grandparent. If he is carrying it, you'll get plenty of REW, on average around a quarter of the kits. If he isn't carrying it, you'll get none at all; but half the kits will inherit it from the black and be carriers.

Thanks, that was really informative. I am starting to think almost all the solid nethies I am coming across, even if they are a solid are probably carrying rew, or himi, so their might always be surprises.

akane":2oe9t9dh said:
All colors can carry rew. If it's a color of the breed you always have a chance of getting it because it's the most recessive and therefore most hidden gene in rabbits.

That is why I like to breed REW to REW ... so I get a litter of all REWs.
I love the lil red eyed devils !!!!!!!!!! :in_love:

Jane

Back