Canned rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olbunny

Reaction score
My beautiful wife canned up 32 pints of rabbit this weekend. This was our last batch of friers. I cut the pieces into smaller parts with a good cleaver so she could pack them tighter. And added a piece of pork belly to each pint jar for fat n more flavor. A pinch of salt.
A couple jars didn't seal. She divided out the contents of them. Each pint averaged 1 pound of bones and 2 pounds of cleaned meat. Not including the juices. She added it back into the meat. Which will be packaged for making sandwich spread.
I was just looking at the numbers. Thats 96 pounds. And kinda surprised myself making the average weight near 3 pounds of processed meat each jar.
She used different parts of the friers in each jar to pack them tightly and to get different meat textures throughout.
I have add. I'm sooooo proud of my family. We all worked together and continue to learn together. We started out working together, raising meat rabbits when we raised our kids. They were the ones to suggest we restart our rabbitry. Recognizing what was on the horizon. Now we have a steady food source. Enough for a couple families right in our back yard

Attachments

• 20220123_112014.jpg
    20220123_112014.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220123_112005.jpg
    20220123_112005.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220123_111820.jpg
    20220123_111820.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210831_105420.jpg
    20210831_105420.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 16
That's fantastic! Just a question about the pint jar - are you sure they are pints? Does 3 pounds of rabbit fit in a pint jar? It will only hold 1 pound of water . . . Still amazing, but just wondering for future reference on what I need to have. I think we sold our pressure canner when we downsized into our tiny travel trailer home :( I hope not, maybe I can find it in storage. Anyway, I digress - great job on canning! Good idea if the electricity gets too expensive - or non-existent - Thanks!

Liz

That's fantastic! Just a question about the pint jar - are you sure they are pints? Does 3 pounds of rabbit fit in a pint jar? It will only hold 1 pound of water . . . Still amazing, but just wondering for future reference on what I need to have. I think we sold our pressure canner when we downsized into our tiny travel trailer home :( I hope not, maybe I can find it in storage. Anyway, I digress - great job on canning! Good idea if the electricity gets too expensive - or non-existent - Thanks!

Liz
Your correct. I was visiting with my beautiful wife try to figure out weights. We weighed an empty jar n full jar. A bit over a pound of product in a pint jar.

this is amazing I bred Flemish giants for almost 7 years when i was 17 or 18 can't remember how old i was But sadly I sold off all my rabbits. I can't wait til we can get into are house because I want to start up a rabbitry again I had a bunch of beauitufl Standard Rex before we moved out of state but had to sell all of them to move which sucked. but this round I will be getting a pair of Standard rex and a Pair of flemish giants I will be breeding the Standard rex Buck to the Flemish giant doe they make the great meat rabbit. I can't wait to start my rabbitry up again. we are just waiting on closing to move in. We were supposed to be in the 4th of this month But due to the level 3 storm we had in are area no one did anything due to safety issues.

this looks great we canned rabbit for the first time last year it has stored wonderfully, but the texture is very fibrous.
I haven't done rabbit yet, but when hubby insisted I'd never be able to harvest anything, I did the wood chucks that had burrowed under the deck and garage to prove him wrong. Froze hindquarters. They were good ..then pressure cooked carcass, cleaned and canned boneless in broth. Taste good but stringy. Found they worked good minced fine and put in pasties. Think part of problem was very lean meat, over cooked. Olbunny might have better results raw packing and adding fat. Meat is pressure canned at more than an hour depending on jar size so my double cooking really overdid. Going to try his way. Frequent power outages and lack of freezer space. Makes canning look good.

My beautiful wife canned up 32 pints of rabbit this weekend. This was our last batch of friers. I cut the pieces into smaller parts with a good cleaver so she could pack them tighter. And added a piece of pork belly to each pint jar for fat n more flavor. A pinch of salt.
A couple jars didn't seal. She divided out the contents of them. Each pint averaged 1 pound of bones and 2 pounds of cleaned meat. Not including the juices. She added it back into the meat. Which will be packaged for making sandwich spread.
I was just looking at the numbers. Thats 96 pounds. And kinda surprised myself making the average weight near 3 pounds of processed meat each jar.
She used different parts of the friers in each jar to pack them tightly and to get different meat textures throughout.
I have add. I'm sooooo proud of my family. We all worked together and continue to learn together. We started out working together, raising meat rabbits when we raised our kids. They were the ones to suggest we restart our rabbitry. Recognizing what was on the horizon. Now we have a steady food source. Enough for a couple families right in our back yard
Absolutely Awesome! I'm looking forward to this years production. I hope we're as successful Ol Bunny!

Latest posts

Back