Can You Breed Rabbits In Your Basement?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caseman97

Reaction score
Hello... I have a large room in my basement, no carpet, with a large south-facing window. Would it be possible to breed a NZ doe and NZ buck for occasional protein for myself and the dog? 3 litters a year sounds about right. I have 3 large rabbit cages kicking around to be used. They have 1/2 inch wire floors and pull-out trays. Also, I have a large wire dog pen as a run as well. Are insects a problem inside? What about odor? There is plenty of ventilation. Do you think this is possible? Thank you in advance. God bless...

You should be able to do that just fine! What kinds of insects are you thinking could be an issue? There are lots outdoors, so I am thinking indoor insects wouldn't be much of a problem, comparatively. For odor, there are things you can put in the trays to absorb urine, and other powders you can use in the trays to reduce the ammonia smell. I can't remember what those products are since I have never had indoor rabbits, so I will let someone with experience let you know what things they use. :)

Hygiene is key. This is like having a really bad litterbox--if you clean it constantly, it wont stink, but if you let urine hang out anywhere it will reek. An indoor rabbit can be perfectly happy, but you have to know yourself--will you really clean it up all the time?

If yes, then go for it!

If you have an overflowing litterbox in the bathroom at this very moment, you may want to rethink this plan. Rabbit pee is very strong smelling, and yes, you can use absorbant litter but if it builds up, the pee smell will soak into everything, and you will have a mess.

Also breeding bucks sometimes spray like male cats. So solid walls that can be cleaned help.
I keep the window open even in winter. Also they can kick poop and spray urine pretty far and high out of the cages.
For my bucks I have a tarp hanging on the wall so the spray gets on that instead

I would also like to add that Does can spray too

Last edited:
I don't have indoor rabbits, but I have some suggestions.

If you make one to three sides solid it will reduce the amount of pee that gets into the room. Even when they don't spray, they tend to pee in the corner, and even girls can get it out farther than you might think.

You might try making a poop/pee catching system. I don't have mine built yet, but members here have really nice set-ups. (I don't remember who they are right now, maybe they'll post some pics for you) Basically, pee and poop roll down a ramp to a gutter that empties into a container.

It doesn't take long for ammonia to build up and it can be dangerous for them.

If you are interested in larger rabbits, be advised that sometimes their poop is quite large and won't go through the wire bottom (1/2" x 1"). This increases your maintenance. I have a 12 lb rabbit whose poop has to be cleaned out at least 2-3x a week.

Don't let any of this dissuade you - it's going to be fun!

To connect to what @Rabbits by Accident said, all of my six cages (Which are the only ones next to walls) have wood guards on all but the front sides16475538278063265111017264022788.jpg16475538465046114994700218260855.jpg
And since I mentioned the tarp earlier,
16475538832641807645632581919733.jpg
The pee can drip down though so it would be a good idea to put something on the floor under it

Back