Can they eat barley?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
Like the grain? I bought a 50# sack for sprouting fodder and well.... My sprouting is not going so well. I keep getting mold.

So I was wondering if I could just feed it raw?

I have. It was never a big part of their diet, just rotating older stock out of our food storage.

I give our junior silver fox and flemish giants almost a handful of barley a night and a teaspoon of Oxygen pellets. But we have issues with size especially the flemmies so we're adding the barley to put on bulk.

My grain mix this month is heavy on the barley. Instead of buying oats I got barley on accident. Rabbits are fine with it.

Barley is every bit as good for rabbits as wheat or oats. Some people feel it gives the meat a better flavour. The only reason I seldom use it is that it is not as easily digested by poultry and I prefer a grain I can feed to all the critters.

Dayna, if you are getting mould in your fodder (not surprising given your climate) you could try feeding just germinated barley. It has many of the advantages of fodder but is less likely to get mould.
http://www.parrotchronicles.com/feature ... edseed.htm

When you tried sprouting it, did you add a couple glugs of bleach to your soaking water(soak for 12 hours in it)? That made a world of difference for mine. I can’t seem to get my wheat to behave till winter, but the barley does wonderfully even in the summer that way. I had to switch them to the green trays (with more ventilation) for the summer, but in the winter I’ll go back to the big black trays that hold more.

Back