can rabbits eat sunflower seeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I accidentally dropped a few sunflower seeds in my rabbit hutch. I'm worried that my bunny ate some. Is it safe for my bunny to eat sunflower seeds or should I collect them from inside its hutch?

Hey everyone,
I accidentally dropped a few sunflower seeds in my rabbit hutch. I'm worried that my bunny ate some. Is it safe for my bunny to eat sunflower seeds or should I collect them from inside its hutch?
I feed them to my colony in winter as it gives them extra energy. I feed whole oats all year long.

My question would be where they meant for human consumption (aka Salted and roasted) or where they just the seeds? If salted I would not worry to much and just make sure that they never got the salted ones again. Too much salt in their diet can lead to bladder stones which means no peeing if they get to big. A one time occurrence will not cause this. I do offer free choice salt/mineral blocks to my breeding does. I also offer BOS to all of the rabbits along with whole oats to them during the winter.

My question would be where they meant for human consumption (aka Salted and roasted) or where they just the seeds? If salted I would not worry to much and just make sure that they never got the salted ones again. Too much salt in their diet can lead to bladder stones which means no peeing if they get to big. A one time occurrence will not cause this. I do offer free choice salt/mineral blocks to my breeding does. I also offer BOS to all of the rabbits along with whole oats to them during the winter.
No, thankfully they were plain seeds not salted ones.

Latest posts

Back