Can rabbits be used as a complete dog diet?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsnrabbits

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if dogs can live nicely off of whole rabbits?
I want to feed my dog raw but it's so expensive.
Also, how many breeding rabbits would I need to feed 1 dog 1 rabbit a day?

For a dog to be healthy it would need some vitamins and minerals that rabbit doesn't provide. And it would also need some fruits and vegetables. But if you did do it, you'd probally 8 or 9 does (so 7+ kits) breeding each rabbit every 2 months.
Happy thanksgiving!

I had a Golden Retriever, a rescue 8 year old that was in bad shape when I got her. She wasn't underfed, just weak and poorly. I fed her 1/2 of a medium-size rabbit on most days, and dog food otherwise. She recovered and spent the next 5 years in good shape. She would eat everything of a fresh rabbit, bones and all, except the intestines. I learned later that wolves don't eat the intestines either.

I have an 8 year old Maremma and 2 of his 5 year old progeny.
They are fed exclusively on raw rabbit, with an occasional duck egg
and a few table scraps. Dogs are carnivores, so no veggies here.
Although ,they could eat them if they wanted since all my garden "waste"
goes out into the pasture for the sheep. They sniff it and turn up their noses

I have been feeding raw and agree, its gotten very expensive, and insecure supplies due to covid here. So rabbits are a great solution and excellent lean protein that ive turned to also.
As dogs are carnivores, they do not require veg, as Caroline stated.
I do feed extras: high omega 3 fish twice weekly, (tin o sardines). All water has ACV in it. Offal at 10%. Eggs with shell included. Lard and raw milk. Plus some scraps from time to time. For daily work and training reward treats i make: carrot slices baked dry with lard and honey.
I grow a lot of veg, feeding scraps to stock, the dogs dont touch it. not interested.

I have kibble available. Feed my dogs raw chicken quarters and eggs. They get the offal when we process or anything that dies (if not from disease of course). My German Shepherds eat the intestines as well. lol BARF groups say this can't be done but if my dogs were any healthier, we couldn't stand them. Clean teeth, nice breath, shiny coats, etc. IMHO feeding "good" kibble alongside relieves the worry of balancing. If we haven't processed, I will buy some kind of liver and I do add salmon oil from time to time. Personally, I would think the main concern with just rabbit, as long as you are feeding it whole, would be the fat. It is extremely lean. I would add raw eggs and something like salmon oil.

Back