Can I use just wood shavings in a nest box?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Having a hard time finding good hay but have a ton of medium/fine wood shavings, kiln-dried.

Can I use just those in the nest box and if so, how deep?

ladysown":3pu2ftiw said:
there are lots of people who do. Others will add some shredded newspaper to the shavings as well.

I did think so but having only ever used hay I wasn't sure how well they work. Good to know it should work fine.

Next step, two first time does due this week, keep your fingers crossed!

A rabbit friend I have puts two inches in with her holland lops. I don't know.. I think you have larger rabbits...you might need to put in three inches or so? Maybe four? I would want a good amount in them.

ladysown":d8ilknfo said:
A rabbit friend I have puts two inches in with her holland lops. I don't know.. I think you have larger rabbits...you might need to put in three inches or so? Maybe four? I would want a good amount in them.

The nest boxes are made of inch ply and I put in three inches but the weird rabbits have eaten quite a bit of them. Will add more tomorrow to make up for it.

The nights are finally starting to warm up to above freezing so that is also a wonderful plus.

Thank you so much, I was fretting more than the task needed, I think.

michaels4gardens":7o1pfa76 said:
If your rabbits are eating a lot of the wood shavings, maybe-they are short on long stem fiber.
They might need some grass hay, or tree branches to eat.

A good thought. They do get grass hay but not as much as I like to give and almost nothing lately due to its being musty when I buy it. :x <br /><br /> -- Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:01 pm -- <br /><br /> A lovely nest full of fine fat kits, the first-time doe is doing a grand job! :D

I'm guessing this is untreated lumber shavings and of a species of wood that isn't harmful to rabbits? If they're eating it, aren't some species of wood somewhat toxic? I've not looked it up or anything though, but I know woodworkers are particular about some species of wood dust which can irritate skin (silky oak around here) and some folks are careful about what species of wood they burn on fires.

hotzcatz":2bksqv66 said:
I'm guessing this is untreated lumber shavings and of a species of wood that isn't harmful to rabbits? If they're eating it, aren't some species of wood somewhat toxic? I've not looked it up or anything though, but I know woodworkers are particular about some species of wood dust which can irritate skin (silky oak around here) and some folks are careful about what species of wood they burn on fires.

Kiln-dried small animal bedding so it has proven safe enough. It's working nicely too, in total we now have 20 new bunnies! :D

Back