Can I move the rabbits outside?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy2511

Reaction score
I have been wanting to move my rabbits outside for some time now; the basement is just too much trouble for cleaning purposes! And... I am wondering how warm it needs to be outside before I can move them out? We are still getting some snowfall and cold winds, but in general things stay around 33-45 degrees during the day and no lower than 10 degrees on the very worst nights (once; maybe twice a week).
It does look like we will be getting a decent snowfall on Saturday and possibly some rain tomorrow...

What do you guys think? I want to move one buck and one doe out, but I am also planning to breed that doe this week (and it will be her first litter.) Should I even think of moving her out yet?

Teddy, you will need two things for moving them out ... protection from the snow/rain and protection from the winds. Other than that, they should do fine outside even in those temps. In those weather conditions, I do recommend a solid bottom wooden nest box and plenty of hay inside and outside the nest box. Line the whole floor of the cage when it is time for her to kindle. For the buck and the doe before kindling, a piece of board and a bundle of hay on top of the board, sort of stuffed in a corner where the prevailing winds come should keep him nice and toasty.

I use 6mil construction plastic as a drape during wet weather, and a length of cotton rope to tie the bottom so it won't blow up/over/out/etc. I also use an old feed bag over the top of the cage to protect the plastic from any sharp edges of the cage wire. A couple of boards over the top of the cages also helps keep the plastic from bellowing ... a couple of bricks every few feet keeps the boards from blowing off, and when the weather is nice, I flip the front of the plastic over the top of the cage, put the back board/bricks over that edge to hold the plastic down. By leaving the plastic on, you have something to keep the hot sun off the buns, yet still lets good light in.

This was my cages in the blizzard a few weeks ago:

blizzard2013_01_zpsca269e28.jpg

The water crocks were only skimmed over with ice a couple of mornings, but the rabbits are generally smart enough to keep a drinking hole opened :D

Thank you for all the information, AnnClaire!

These are the two cages that I am planning to move outside; presently they are still in a messy area of the basement.

auz9lu.jpg

I would use the larger cage for the doe and the hutch for the buck; unless I can find a better cage for him first (he sprays the walls of his cage :evil: )
And I may or may not be able to put the cages in a 3 sided shelter. We'll have to see if I can make a spot for them this weekend.

Considering that this doe has never lived outside before and this is her first litter, do you think that she and a litter of kits could thrive even through the upheaval of being moved outside?

And most nights hover around 25 degrees when we aren't getting any snow or rain.

There's a reason rabbit fur is used (or was used) for winter clothing ;) It's extremely warm! As long as they're out of the direct wind and don't get wet from either rain or snow, rabbits can tolerate extreme cold and do quite well in it. It's a tad problematic when they're kindling...as long as they have a good nest box and a good mama, who pulls lots of fur, kindles IN the nest box and keeps them covered, even the little ones can do well, but they do need to be watched carefully. As a rule though, they have many more problems with heat than with cold :)

Yep, what Mickey says ... also, I would leave the doe in the wooden hutch ... it will give her and the kits more protection :D As for the buck, I would leave him in the larger wire cage, and just drape plastic, whatever over his cage. If you don't know, an individual rabbit generates something on the order of 1.5 Btu of warmth per hour, so covering the cage with a drape such as plastic or a tarp will keep his warmth in. If you use the construction plastic (6mil), you can leave the cage covered during the day and the sun will also help warm it up inside, but you have to be very careful doing that as it can get too warm very quickly!

Your biggest issue would be putting them out during the day, then bringing them in at night, which it doesn't sound like you are going to do, but just wanted to mention it just in case.

So you don't think that there would be any problem in moving a first time doe outside, just after getting bred?

I'm going to do some measuring and see if I can do as you suggested about the cages... But the reason that I was think the doe would be in the wire cage, is because of space. The nest box does not fit well in the hutch, and the lack of space will most likely be felt especially after the kits are hopping out of the nest box.

It looks like there is an enclosure in the wooden hutch already ... you don't need any more than that for the doe to make a nest ... just stuff it full of hay, give her more to make a nest with when she is 3 days from day 31 (or if you see a hay moustache earlier)

As for moving her out just after breeding, not a problem ... rabbits gestate with little or no increase in food requirements as long as they are getting a balanced diet. Then, once the kits are out and about, move them all into the larger wire cage ... the buck will enjoy the new abode because it will smell like doe-ready-to-breed, and the doe and kits will enjoy the increased space.

I have found that winter kits take a bit longer to come out of the nest box, so when you see them coming out to drink from mom's water, they are old enough to go into the wire cage with a cardboard box full of hay to snuggle in. One thing you want to do is to get those kits out of the wooden hutch before they start developing nest box eye (NBE) which seems to be worse in a wooden environment if cleaning isn't kept on top of, so to just side step the situation ... get the kits into a cardboard box in the wire cage when they start coming out of the nest box :D

Okay thanks...
One last question! (Well, until the next one! :D ) Should I move the doe outside first or breed her first; which would be the least stressful?

And this same doe also needs to go along to a 4H meeting this Saturday, but she must be bred by Sunday. When would you all suggest moving her out and breeding her?

Lol, I know, lots of questions! :lol:<br /><br />__________ Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:44 pm __________<br /><br />Anyone? I have to decide my course of action as soon as possible...

Alright, but now that I just realized that she needs to go to a 4H workshop on the weekend, should I wait to do the breeding and moving outside until the day after the workshop or should I do it as soon as possible (tomorrow) so that she can adjust to her new home for a couple of days first?

I know it may seem like I am way over thinking this :roll:, but I want to make sure that I am making everything happen with as little stress on her as possible. :)

(Oh, and she has had a nice dark pink color to her vent since the day she turned 4 months old, lol! She also lifts immediately whenever I place my hand over her hips and apply a little pressure around her middle.)

I would try to breed her now. Since you have a deadline, you don't want to tempt fate- if you wait until after, no doubt she will clamp her butt to the wire and refuse the buck! :lol:

Does she absolutely HAVE to go to the workshop? To me that seems like an optional activity that could be skipped to lessen the stress on her.

I have to send one rabbit to this workshop and since she is the one who is going to be shown (though I am hoping for a kit from this litter instead) I think they want her to be there.

I think I'll breed her tomorrow then, and I'll do my best to find out if I can take a different rabbit to the workshop. Is there anything that I can do to lessen her stress this week (herbs, covered cage, etc)?
I am thinking that I'll breed her Tuesday, move her outside Wednesday, give her Thursday and Friday alone in her new cage setup, and then, if I can't take a different rabbit, bring her to the workshop on Saturday.

Does that sound like too much stress for a first time doe? Should I keep her inside for another week after the workshop to lower stress?
:? What do you think?

__________ Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:53 am __________

Does anyone think that I should wait to move her?

Actually, I would suggest that you do take her to the workshop. You want her to be a good traveler and accept new situations without freaking out, so this will be good practice for you and her :D<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:00 am __________<br /><br />Oh, and breed her now ... lots of folks will breed a doe so she is just shy of 2 weeks for shows ... I haven't done it, but the SF FB group was talking about it last week.

Latest posts

Back