Can i give grape leaves to my rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michabo3000

Reaction score
The neighbors grapes are coming over the fence and covering the side of my garage, they dont produce very good grapes or i would just train them to go where i want. So im cutting them off. Can rabbits eat grape leaves and vines?

Yes as far as I've read, and mines are eating them and they are still alive :) Just no fruit.

Yes. They tend to like the younger leaves better. I would make sure your neighbor doesn't use any systemic pesticides though.

The rabbits loving the grape leaves and vines. Once i get a path through between my garage and the fence, i may be reaching over the fence for more grape leaves and vines.

One of by rabbits likes the fruit, but she likes them best when they are cut in half. My other rabbit doesn't touch the fruit. They both like the leaves and stems.

MaggieJ":3bjxk8ut said:
skysthelimit":3bjxk8ut said:
Yes as far as I've read, and mines are eating them and they are still alive :) Just no fruit.

Why not the fruit, Sky? Just wondering!

I really don't know if it's true, but I have not seen the actual grapes themselves on any safe list, so far, so I haven't tried it yet.

I know dogs are not supposed to eat grapes, they cause some type of build up in the kidneys.

I really don't know if it's true, but I have not seen the actual grapes themselves on any safe list, so far, so I haven't tried it yet.

I know dogs are not supposed to eat grapes, they cause some type of build up in the kidneys.
Hello! I was wondering if rabbits can eat grapes. Reese was begging for one while I was eating them, and was surprised to find out that she loved them when I offered her one. Please respond soon! She is begging for more.

Grapes (the fruit) are very high in sugars. While most of us crave sweets and enjoy them, it's best to limit them, especially in rabbits that have such delicate digestive systems. For some unknown reason (scientists still don't know the cause), grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs. My old dog (who lived to 14) loved grapes, when they were ripe, she'd go down the grape arbor and eat the low grapes. I understand wild dogs have also been seen eating grapes, but for other dogs, even one grape or raisin can be deadly. No one seems to know why. For rabbits, the real problem may be the excess sugar messing with the digestive system, it's easy to disrupt normal rabbit digestion, and hard to get it going properly again, so sweet treats of any kind are generally given very sparingly and not very often. I'm sure there are some rabbits that will have no problem with them, and others that will have immediate ill effects. Seems to be the way of things. So, to be on the safe side, we usually err on the side of caution.

Latest posts

Back