Can coat colors outside of breed standards still be pure bred? Orange NZ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juci

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
In my area I’ve noticed that there are a lot of people advertising New Zealand rabbits that are light orange and chestnut. The orange color definitely seems much lighter than the New Zealand red.
One of my does is this color- she was sold to me as a New Zealand- no pedigree- and because I’m raising meat mutts anyway I just assumed she was actually a mix and am fine with that. But now that I’ve seen a lot more rabbits her color from different breeders being advertised as pure New Zealand’s, I’m curious if it’s possible that she actually is. It would be helpful to know how much a breed can differ from accepted or showable colors so I can compare her weight to breed standards and have an idea of what age she should be transitioned to adult food.

Is it common to see New Zealand or other breeds of rabbits that are not the showable colors, or is that a sure sign of having mixed bloodlines? There are also a couple of breeders in my area selling checkered giants that are chinchilla colored, so I’m really curious! I’m attaching a picture of my doe just in case that’s helpful- she just seems so much lighter than the NZ reds I’ve seen pictures of.

Attachments

• B274481A-C3BF-468B-81D9-C92A963D757C.jpeg
    B274481A-C3BF-468B-81D9-C92A963D757C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for the insight! That’s so interesting, especially since all the New Zealand rabbits I’ve seen for sale where I am are her color or white.
I was just looking at your photo again…your bun looks pretty red on the body but the black lacing on her ears made me say amber…but it could also just be what breeders call ‘smut’ where you get dark hairs on the ears and nose typically. If you aren’t breeding for showable colours though it doesn’t matter, if she’s productive, she’s a good girl! I raise rabbits for meat and pelts but I got deep into the colour genetics stuff lol it’s neato if you are into it.

my guess, is that she's a mix, but does it matter? If she gives you a good start in your meat program and gives you what you want for now, it's all good right? You can always purchase some purebred NZ's and work toward pedigreeing them and fussing over the right colours.

If you cross different colours of NZ you can get differently coloured offspring that are still pure NZ.

I was just looking at your photo again…your bun looks pretty red on the body but the black lacing on her ears made me say amber…but it could also just be what breeders call ‘smut’ where you get dark hairs on the ears and nose typically. If you aren’t breeding for showable colours though it doesn’t matter, if she’s productive, she’s a good girl! I raise rabbits for meat and pelts but I got deep into the colour genetics stuff lol it’s neato if you are into it.
Yes, I agree, she’s such a sweet girl so far! :) I’m on an island so I don’t plan on doing shows anyway, and I’m hoping to do meat and pelts as well! Any colors will be great to work with. I wondered about that smut/sooty coloring. It started appearing on her at around 7 months. Funny how rabbits coat colors change slightly. Lol
I definitely want to learn more about coat color genetics. It seems so complicated, but fun to learn about. That’s been my evening reading lately lol.

my guess, is that she's a mix, but does it matter? If she gives you a good start in your meat program and gives you what you want for now, it's all good right? You can always purchase some purebred NZ's and work toward pedigreeing them and fussing over the right colours.

If you cross different colours of NZ you can get differently coloured offspring that are still pure NZ.
Thank you for the insight and advice about getting some purebred New Zealand’s eventually. And interesting to know about crossing the different colors.
And yes! She’s such a sweet girl, if she ends up not being a good meat breeder I think I’ll keep her as a house bunny. 😉

I was curious about the breed because she was only 5.25 pounds when I brought her home, and supposedly 6 months old. I don’t have experience with rabbits, but I think the poor bun felt too thin. So for the past couple of months I’ve been feeding her constant hay and about a half cup of pellets every day and she’s been putting on weight. I’m just not really sure how much she’s supposed to be gaining without going by breed guidelines- which I think are around 10-12 pounds for a doe. If she’s mixed breed then I’ll have to just go on how she feels and looks.

Anyway, thank you for the insight! :) rabbit people on here are so nice. <3

My New Zealand bun is that exact color and she’s a spunky girl for sure. She has recessive curly genes. So her babies with regular fur are her color, but the curly babies get the beautiful dark red or paprika color to them. I have a buck with recessive curly genes as well. Genes and colors are very interesting indeed! But she will throw orange, white and curly reds! Harlequin if bred to my harlequin boy.

My New Zealand bun is that exact color and she’s a spunky girl for sure. She has recessive curly genes. So her babies with regular fur are her color, but the curly babies get the beautiful dark red or paprika color to them. I have a buck with recessive curly genes as well. Genes and colors are very interesting indeed! But she will throw orange, white and curly reds! Harlequin if bred to my harlequin boy.
Wow, I’d love to see curly fur babies! That’s so interesting to know you also have a NZ this color. I got a male the same color and supposedly NZ, so it will be interesting to see if they throw any colors other than this orange/blondish color. :)

Harlequin must be really fun to work with!

You have a good question. The answer is yes, there are many possible combinations of the five main rabbit color genes, as well as a variety of pattern genes (like spotted/broken) and modifiers (like the rufus modifier and wide-band that makes the New Zealand Red such a rich red. Any rabbit can have any of those combinations, but the 'powers that be', like the American Rabbit Breeders Association in conjunction with the individual national breed organizations, decide what colors/patterns are going to be 'legal' within that breed.

If there are not enough entries in a color category, they may decide to drop that color as an acceptable color for show/registry. If there is enough interest, someone may be granted a Certificate of Development (COD) to develop and show a new color, with a strict and lengthy process to be followed. So acceptable colors do change with time.

Anyone can have recessive genetics or certain gene combinations cause unshowable colors in the nestbox. They are still 'purebred', but neither showable nor registerable. For instance, in my breed, chinchilla is an accepted color. Fawn is an accepted color. But if I cross a chinchilla with a fawn, I am likely to come up with ermines, where the chinchilla gene eliminates the fawn coloration, leaving only a steel gray-eyed pearly white rabbit with a few colored marks on the face and ears where the 'smut' would have been on a fawn. Ermines are not accepted for show. The stock is all purebred, but this color is not acceptable for show.

Some breeds have dozens of accepted colors, others just one. The genetics for the other colors may all still be there, but only those in the sanctioned colors can be shown or registered. If you buy stock from breeders that still breed the unshowable colors in their herd, you too, are likely to end up with unshowable stock. If showing is your goal, you want to purchase stock from breeders that limit themselves to accepted colors, otherwise, many of the kits in the nestbox may not be showable material.

There is a page at Agouti Group (A-) [Mink Hollow Rabbitry] that shows some of these colors. Amber, also called chocolate agouti in some breeds, is illustrated there. It looks to me like it's possible someone bred a NZ white or black with a NZ red. The reds have the agouti gene, coded A with a capital letter because it is dominant, and you only need one copy of it for the rabbit to look agouti. Instead of being one solid color, agouti puts multiple colors on one hairshaft, plus the light eyerings, belly an around the nose, as your rabbits have. The reds also have the double recessive yellow (fawn) gene, coded ee, which pulls the center fawn agouti band out to the tip of the hairshaft, and a red (rufus) modifier that turns the yellow/orange fawn band to that lovely rich red. However, black does not need that fawn recessive, the rufus modifier, nor does it have agouti. White could be anything genetically, it can be any color combination, but the double recessive albino gene, coded cc, stops the rabbit's pigment factories from making any color, so its genetics are hiding under an albino white sheet.

If you cross an agouti (which a NZ red is) with any other rabbit, you are likely to get more agouti rabbits, as it is dominant. It takes two recessive fawn genes, two recessive wide-band genes, and rufus modifiers to make red rabbits. If you breed a NZ red to a rabbit that does not carry these recessive genetics, the offspring will not have them. The most likely result of this cross is a chestnut agouti, a black agouti (born black, the chestnut coloring grows in as the hair grows). Amber is the chocolate recessive of black, born chocolate, the chestnut coloring also grows in as the hair grows, but with a chocolate base it has a different look. Another possibility is that the bunny is wide-band recessive, making the final coat look more fawn, without having the actual double recessive ee genetics.

The size issue is a whole 'nother issue. While it may be a red flag along with the color that crossing has occurred, you may also have the result of illness, parasites, a runt, poor milk production from the dam (or too many kits in the litter for the available milk), poor eating after weaning resulting in poor growth, low-nutrition feed, poor genetics. . .the list could go on. Six months old is 'adult' in many breeds, so if the given age was correct, she was only half accepted weight.

It looks like some of the feed manufacturers are suggesting 4-6 oz. of 18% protein pellets for a New Zealand doe per day, you'd need to weigh your brand and see how much that would be, there should be rabbit weight suggestions for feeding. The pet websites are suggesting that amount of fresh greens instead, and a tiny amount of pellets, which doesn't sustain growth well, especially on rabbits not bred for that type of feeding. Yes, you can raise meat rabbits on greens alone, but it may take you several generations to come up with a line that does well on that kind of diet. I'm a real fan of 'breed to the feed', where you select those rabbits that grow well and are healthy on the feed that is available to you. That takes time, and you're starting out with an original generation. It sounds like your doe wasn't doing as well on the system in her previous home weight-wise, but is doing better under your care. Good job!

You have a good question. The answer is yes, there are many possible combinations of the five main rabbit color genes, as well as a variety of pattern genes (like spotted/broken) and modifiers (like the rufus modifier and wide-band that makes the New Zealand Red such a rich red. Any rabbit can have any of those combinations, but the 'powers that be', like the American Rabbit Breeders Association in conjunction with the individual national breed organizations, decide what colors/patterns are going to be 'legal' within that breed.

If there are not enough entries in a color category, they may decide to drop that color as an acceptable color for show/registry. If there is enough interest, someone may be granted a Certificate of Development (COD) to develop and show a new color, with a strict and lengthy process to be followed. So acceptable colors do change with time.

Anyone can have recessive genetics or certain gene combinations cause unshowable colors in the nestbox. They are still 'purebred', but neither showable nor registerable. For instance, in my breed, chinchilla is an accepted color. Fawn is an accepted color. But if I cross a chinchilla with a fawn, I am likely to come up with ermines, where the chinchilla gene eliminates the fawn coloration, leaving only a steel gray-eyed pearly white rabbit with a few colored marks on the face and ears where the 'smut' would have been on a fawn. Ermines are not accepted for show. The stock is all purebred, but this color is not acceptable for show.

Some breeds have dozens of accepted colors, others just one. The genetics for the other colors may all still be there, but only those in the sanctioned colors can be shown or registered. If you buy stock from breeders that still breed the unshowable colors in their herd, you too, are likely to end up with unshowable stock. If showing is your goal, you want to purchase stock from breeders that limit themselves to accepted colors, otherwise, many of the kits in the nestbox may not be showable material.

There is a page at Agouti Group (A-) [Mink Hollow Rabbitry] that shows some of these colors. Amber, also called chocolate agouti in some breeds, is illustrated there. It looks to me like it's possible someone bred a NZ white or black with a NZ red. The reds have the agouti gene, coded A with a capital letter because it is dominant, and you only need one copy of it for the rabbit to look agouti. Instead of being one solid color, agouti puts multiple colors on one hairshaft, plus the light eyerings, belly an around the nose, as your rabbits have. The reds also have the double recessive yellow (fawn) gene, coded ee, which pulls the center fawn agouti band out to the tip of the hairshaft, and a red (rufus) modifier that turns the yellow/orange fawn band to that lovely rich red. However, black does not need that fawn recessive, the rufus modifier, nor does it have agouti. White could be anything genetically, it can be any color combination, but the double recessive albino gene, coded cc, stops the rabbit's pigment factories from making any color, so its genetics are hiding under an albino white sheet.

If you cross an agouti (which a NZ red is) with any other rabbit, you are likely to get more agouti rabbits, as it is dominant. It takes two recessive fawn genes, two recessive wide-band genes, and rufus modifiers to make red rabbits. If you breed a NZ red to a rabbit that does not carry these recessive genetics, the offspring will not have them. The most likely result of this cross is a chestnut agouti, a black agouti (born black, the chestnut coloring grows in as the hair grows). Amber is the chocolate recessive of black, born chocolate, the chestnut coloring also grows in as the hair grows, but with a chocolate base it has a different look. Another possibility is that the bunny is wide-band recessive, making the final coat look more fawn, without having the actual double recessive ee genetics.

The size issue is a whole 'nother issue. While it may be a red flag along with the color that crossing has occurred, you may also have the result of illness, parasites, a runt, poor milk production from the dam (or too many kits in the litter for the available milk), poor eating after weaning resulting in poor growth, low-nutrition feed, poor genetics. . .the list could go on. Six months old is 'adult' in many breeds, so if the given age was correct, she was only half accepted weight.

It looks like some of the feed manufacturers are suggesting 4-6 oz. of 18% protein pellets for a New Zealand doe per day, you'd need to weigh your brand and see how much that would be, there should be rabbit weight suggestions for feeding. The pet websites are suggesting that amount of fresh greens instead, and a tiny amount of pellets, which doesn't sustain growth well, especially on rabbits not bred for that type of feeding. Yes, you can raise meat rabbits on greens alone, but it may take you several generations to come up with a line that does well on that kind of diet. I'm a real fan of 'breed to the feed', where you select those rabbits that grow well and are healthy on the feed that is available to you. That takes time, and you're starting out with an original generation. It sounds like your doe wasn't doing as well on the system in her previous home weight-wise, but is doing better under your care. Good job!
Thank you so much for all the info! That’s really interesting about the accepted colors changing depending on what’s being developed, and interest.
Thank you also for the tips on feeding. I do have limited resources where I am, and only a couple places to buy pellets. I haven’t found an accessible brand that’s over 14 percent protein, without having to order online with shipping costs. I’ve been supplementing with calf mana to make up the extra nutrients and so far that’s been working really well. So I think I’ll definitely try that breed to feed technique. I appreciate your reply, as I’m sure others will who have the same question! :)

Back