Can anyone tell me what’s wrong with my buck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blessed with pets

Reaction score
So I have this buck who turned one in February. He’s my absolute favorite rabbit so I’m really scared for him. So what’s going on is he’s losing chunks of fur around his privates and one of his testicles is currently deflated. I tried doing litter boxes with them (because I watch too much YouTube 🙄) and he was fully litter trained but he would hang out in his litter box and I noticed his fur under his tail was getting really dirty and It always looked kind of wet. I only had the litter boxes and cage flooring for about 2 weeks before I took it out and put them back on the wire (I still give them each a carpet) but anyways I think I’ll get him to the vet tomorrow, I’m 14 so I can’t drive but My dad said he might be able to take me to the vet tomorrow if he gets a break from work, the vet is also 45 minutes to an hour from my house. But if anyone knows what might be going on with him or what I can do in the meantime that would be very helpful. I was thinking about bringing him inside in a dog kennel but the only thing is he’d have to have a litter box again and I don’t want to make the situation any worse. I tried the wire grate on the litter boxes and he pulled it out every time and I’m not spending anymore money on litter boxes. I’ll insert some pictures and please give me any advice. Thank you in advance. God bless!! 8E32ACEC-4B2D-4347-BA64-15BD805B6CEA.jpeg755AB25B-7BE9-4650-908F-7EB990FA5DEE.jpeg2DC7AD7B-0C7A-4C4C-B0D7-9A901929A985.jpegB87BD7B1-B36D-4AFA-8ADE-A08F2FEA016D.jpeg3D1D7E66-2463-4B8F-9067-13FD5F0D6F96.jpeg

Attachments

• 2FF4BCEB-D629-44A0-AC66-41163A6F64FB.jpeg
    2FF4BCEB-D629-44A0-AC66-41163A6F64FB.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 1
It could be hutch burn. When rabbits pee on themselves/sit in waste the compounds in the urine can cause burns and/or a fungus to form that will cause the fur to fall out and the area to become inflamed. Making sure there are no areas in his cage that can allow for urine to stand or waste builds up is a must (even if you clean every day, he can still sit in it before you get the chance.) Wiping him down in the effected areas with a mild soap and making sure he stays dry and clean after words should clear up the problem, if it is in fact hutch burn. Some rabbit also just pee on themselves and you can't help it sadly.

As for the testicular issues. Bucks can retract their test testis if in a stressful situation, stressful situations can include loud noises, drastic weather changes, smells of other animals (including rabbits.) If it were one of my bucks wouldn’t be too concerned, I had a buck that didn’t drop his until he was 1 and the retracted them again and dropped again 3 months later. Obviously do what is best for your peace of mind and situation, if you are worried about it and feel you need to take him to the vet than do so.

It could be hutch burn. When rabbits pee on themselves/sit in waste the compounds in the urine can cause burns and/or a fungus to form that will cause the fur to fall out and the area to become inflamed. Making sure there are no areas in his cage that can allow for urine to stand or waste builds up is a must (even if you clean every day, he can still sit in it before you get the chance.) Wiping him down in the effected areas with a mild soap and making sure he stays dry and clean after words should clear up the problem, if it is in fact hutch burn. Some rabbit also just pee on themselves and you can't help it sadly.

As for the testicular issues. Bucks can retract their test testis if in a stressful situation, stressful situations can include loud noises, drastic weather changes, smells of other animals (including rabbits.) If it were one of my bucks wouldn’t be too concerned, I had a buck that didn’t drop his until he was 1 and the retracted them again and dropped again 3 months later. Obviously do what is best for your peace of mind and situation, if you are worried about it and feel you need to take him to the vet than do so.
Thank you so much for your reply! I did get him to the vet and they said it was a fungal infection. They gave me a spray to use every day and his skin looks way better, I’m just hoping his fur will grow back.

Do you think my rabbit could have the same thing? @jaxmarblebuns

Attachments

• IMG-1340.jpg
    IMG-1340.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-1339.jpg
    IMG-1339.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-1337.jpg
    IMG-1337.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-1338.jpg
    IMG-1338.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 9
Thank you so much. God bless you too.
Along with what blessed with pets said. Your buck needs a major grooming. I am not sure of his breed so it could be the coat type, but his coat does seem to be lacking quality which could mean he needs a diet adjustment. What feed are you giving him?

Along with what blessed with pets said. Your buck needs a major grooming. I am not sure of his breed so it could be the coat type, but his coat does seem to be lacking quality which could mean he needs a diet adjustment. What feed are you giving him?
He eats purina pro pellets, Timothy hay, and the occasional fruit and veggies.

Do you think my rabbit could have the same thing? @jaxmarblebuns
It is hard to tell but this looks like the fur was ripped off and the flesh is exposed. Does your rabbit live with other rabbits? I had two does fight once and one of them ripped a chunk of fur and skin right off of the other! it looked similar to this. I treated her with betadine and colloidal silver and gave her her own enclosure. She recovered just fine. If your bun lives alone then this would not apply. I do recommend a trip to the vet.

Would stress grooming apply to rabbits? I've seen this on my chinchillas ( not rabbit chinchilla, but chinchilla species) it looked very similar and it was a caused by the stress of loneliness.

Back