Can any thing go better (sarcastic) help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
I wish that I never would have to post a thread on this forum but i am so that is down the drain.

yesterday I got two New Zealand and today I stupidly thought that I could put lily, mus and there baby together with the nzs and they would make one happy family but with minutes lily had jumped on the female nz and was attacking her luckily I was there so I managed to pull lily of and separate everyone but lily still managed to hurt the fnz. The fnz has some small scratches on her eye lid but her eye is fine so it will probably heal in a few days but she also has a bite on her chest that is the size of a finger nail. The ripped skin is still attached but it luckily looks clean and the flesh underneath is intact so lily’s teeth only went through the skin which i think is also good. The rabbit is definitely in pain but that is to be expected.

I don’t know what to do so help would be highly appreciate.

Live and let learn. When I was new to rabbits I once placed a young rabbit is a cage with a doe and her litter thinking the doe would mother it. The doe at once attacked the young rabbit biting. The young rabbit died of the wounds.

Does can live together but you cannot just put a strange doe into an established doe's cage specially if the cage is crowed with no hiding place.

It may take a couple weeks but your rabbit should heal as long as the wounds are clean and flies don't lay their eggs on them.

Likely you can't put a bandage on it. She will just fuss at it and take it off. Keep it clean, by keeping her habitat clean and dry--lots of pen cleaning, and if it gets crusty looking, or infected looking, act quickly with some basic wound cleaning--like hydrogen peroxide or even just mildly soapy water. That might need to be repeated daily IF it gets infected, but don't mess with it if everything is healing normally.

Make sure flies stay away and aren't able to reach her. You could dab it with betadine

I think I will leave it alone as long as it is not getting infected or something. Right now there are no flys so I think it is okay but thanks for responding.

Never put new rabbits anywhere near your rabbits. Always quarantine. Some of the contagious diseases rabbits can carry will not be visible immediately and can spread through the whole rabbitry like wildfire.

Latest posts

Back