Calling all mamas - I have a "what do you think" question...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to ease my wild thoughts - my 4 year old just came out complaining that his "leg" hut - he has a swollen and very tender lymph node (maybe 2) in his groin area. Normally I wouldn't think huge amounts of it, but I know a lady whose son was originally diagnose with "spider bites" in the same area and it ended up being leukemia. This is also the same child that was born with a "cyst" (what they think it was anyway) in his eye/tear duct area - it got infected at 6 days old and ruptured... we spent nearly a week in the hospital with high powered IV antibiotics, then unknown breathing and apnea problems that led to oxygen for a year. To say I am a bit paranoid now is likely understandable...

DH doesn't think it's anything b/c he's not in "major" pain, but this is the kid that at 2 broke his leg and barely cried (the only indicator something was wrong was that he wouldn't put any weight on it)... he's got a decent pain tolerance. I think I am going to call the Pediatrician in the morning, just to be on the safe side. He flinches when I touch it which is telling to me. He said to trust my mommy instinct, he has learned over the years that it's not always spot on, but a lot of time it is (I was the one that initially flagged the breathing issues that were brushed off by the nurse and doctor at first, she later apologized profusely after seeing the results of his first sleep study).

Thanks for that reassurance on instincts. I know if I say something to my mom she'll flip out, which I don't need. SHe'd have me going to the ER tonight. DH's family tends to brush anything off that's not directly related to them (if it's them? it's the worst ever... anyone else? it's not anything :roll: ), so both extremes. DH said he didn't drink much this weekend (they went fishing), paired with allergy stuff, maybe his body just got too worn down? Weird that it's the groin though - everything I read said that sinus/upper body infection goes through the neck nodes, the groin is leg related. I'm going to feel around a little more now that he is asleep - see if there are any others and just how big it is (or if there is more than one). One promising thing I read is that if it's painful and soft it's likely an infection, hard and painless is more likely malignant. Not that I want an infection...

you'll have to let us know what the result of your visit is. hopefully nothing...but still..trust your momma instincts.

I tried to check it before bed last night and it actually woke him up - he instantly pulled away saying "ow ow ow" - poor guy :( . I have a call in to the ped. office, we'll see what they say. I don't want to rush him in for nothing, then bring home who-knows-what. It seems like one doctors visit for one child leads to multiples for everyone else for 4-6 weeks after :roll: Although their immune systems seem to be doing much better now that they are older - we survived winter with just one or two hiccups (even with rampant strep, flu, and stomach crud)... they might have had the flu early on, we all got knocked out with something, but it wasn't worth a doctors visit to figure out what it was, we just waited it out (48 hours at a time, each person... one by one by one :roll: ). <br /><br /> __________ Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:24 am __________ <br /><br /> Appt. at 5:15 today - I think she's seeing us after hours (her day is usually full by 8:30, I didn't talk to the nurse until 9). The triage nurse said the pain is what's most concerning. She asked a couple other specific questions about how it felt to the touch (size, did it move, etc.), but he ran from me when I tried to check :( so she said not to worry about it... the pain alone (without fever for obvious infection) was enough to warrant a visit though.

Good luck tonight Four Ring. Hope it's a false alarm but better safe than sorry.

Let us know how the little guys is doing and tell him I'll send my nurse over if he doesn't get better. ;)

b0952333d9be5f78c56d2c227213fa2b.jpg

Ha! Love the "nurse" :lol:

I will let you all know how it goes... I need to get him drinking this afternoon so he'll be well hydrated, I have a feeling they will be doing bloodwork and he has the toughest veins of all the kids.

__________ Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:25 pm __________

Well, evidently it's been 2 years since he's been to the doctor :lol: Minus his broken leg (urgent care and orthopaedic), and suspected broken arm (also urgent care).

He checked out just fine. A number of lymph nodes were swollen, which I guess is a good sign compared to just one area - go figure. She said some kids are just more "lymph-y" than others. She asked about any rashes, and at the time it was a "no" BUT my older daughter just pointed out his back - WTHeck?? No idea what it going on here... it was a "slide burn" from the park, and I guess the bandaid was doing a good job of covering things up. Hoping it's just a reaction to the bandaid itself, although that doesn't explain the random redness further up his back. There is actual blistery type bumps surrounding it. I guess I will be calling back tomorrow, just in case this changes things. Blood work came back normal at least (white cells where smack in the middle so totally normal).

rash.jpg <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:25 pm __________ <br /><br /> :rant:

That's how I feel right now - along with nauseous and on the verge of tears...

I think our neighbor/tenant brought bed bugs into our house. I think that might be what's all over YDS (he has even more blisters on him now).

The other night he woke up crying b/c he had a bug on his hand, he had some many Legos in his bed ( :roll: ) I brushed it off as just a piece getting stuck to him. Now? I'm freaking out.

I'm pi$$ed b/c our neighbor is trying to do her sorry butt family a favor and let her grandaughters friend stay with her. Fine. I understand she needed to get away from her home life and had nowhere else to go. Long story short (that's filled with all kinds of stupid drama, b/c that's what her family is filled with) this girls boyfriend brought bed bugs into her house (OUR house, technically). The girl didn't want to say anything, but finally fessed up. Never did they mention that they actually came from boyfriend's house (the daughter let it slip).

So now we have a $100 doctor bill (I assume the swollen glands were the start of the reaction to the bites) and a potential mess to deal with... not to mention the awfulness that is my son's back that's now spreading to his belly :cry: . I used over half a bottle of lavender oil between the three bedrooms and 5 mattresses. Thankfully they kids all have allergen protectors on their mattresses already, which I *think* are rated for bugs as well (no big holes for anything to get into). No boxsprings, except for the one bunk bed board on my oldest's bed.

This is what I want to do to the house :explode:

I don't know what to do... my parent's are supposed to be coming down TOMORROW for us to see them one last time before they leave for out west until fall. They will be staying in their RV, but I know they won't want us in there, and they won't want to come here. My mom slept in YDD's bed this past weekend with her own pillow and bag and things. I have to tell them, but boy oh boy I don't want to. They already don't like the lady that rents from us. She's a sweetheart of a woman, but a little eccentric. She doesn't have a lot of money, and always has the worst of luck. My mom never even gave her a chance. Neither has MIL, or the rest of the family. It's not going to go well.

Granted, I don't have solid proof at this point, but it's not looking good. There might have been a couple of blood spots on the sheets for YDD?? But she is a scab picker so who knows...

I did a row of quilting... close enough ;) :lol:

I just don't want to deal with this. The heebie jeebie factor is bad enough, and so many other logistics that come with it. Thankfully we don't have open mattresses or boxsprings to deal with, but UGH. Bugs. I hate bugs. Outside? Fine. Inside, feasting on my children? No way, uh uh. He also comes to sleep with us every morning. Yay. Sharing the love.

I really really hope I'm wrong, but so many things are pointing in that direction. The largest concentration of blisters are around what is/was an open wound - easy access to blood. And the fact he said he saw a bug on him is not a good sign. Our neighbor/tenant having them not even a month ago, who comes to visit us multiple times a week?

Bed bugs are not the end of the world, although they make you feel like you are the worst housekeeper ever. When bed bugs bite you, you usually try to brush them off in your sleep. This causes them to move an inch or so before resuming feeding, so you will have a bunch of bites near one another. That said, those do not look like bed bug bites- they are usually swollen and raised, and I have never seen them blister.

We have a maternal bat colony that roosts in the ceiling of our house and they brought us bed bugs a few years ago. Food grade diatomaceous earth killed the little blood suckers. We powdered the area where the bats enter the house (they must be even more flexible than mice, because there really is not much of a gap between the walls and roof) and over the span of several years it seems that our bats are pretty bed bug free now as well.

We simply sprinkled DE around the legs of our bed so they had to trek through it to get to us. They don't die right away, so still bit us, but that was likely their last meal. I also vacuumed along the baseboards daily, vacuumed under the loveseat cushions in our bedroom, and generally hunted them every morning. Make sure to look under your pillows and IN the pillowcases, as well as under the sheets.

They love to hide in cracks, so sprinkle DE along the baseboards, between you mattress and box spring, under furniture cushions, etc.

When we first had them I found maybe 8 or 10 a day for the first couple of weeks, but for the last couple of years (when the bats return to have their babies) I have found maybe that many during the entire 6 months or so that they live here.

Oh, I hope you're right MSD! We scoured all the kids' beds with flashlights and a bamboo skewer and didn't find any obvious evidence. There was one small corner of the framing for the under bed drawers in one room that had 5 or 6 black dots, that was the most concerning. That same bed has a few blood spots on the sheets... it's also the bed of my scab picker so that's not definitive either :roll: . No live anything, one dead thing, or really I think it's an exoskeleton, but from what I have found online it's a carpet beetle larva cast skin (someone else was asking for an ID on something that looked exactly like it).

Breathing a tad bit easier, but it still seems highly coincidental for it all to happen at the same time - the bedbugs 3 weeks ago at the tenant's, the bug on his hand the other night (or whatever it was), the bites or blisters, or whatever it is all over him...

SO thankful we don't have boxsprings (one bunk board, but checked the tags and all the staples, no signs - we just upgraded to a platform bed a few weeks ago) and I invested in the allergen covers for all the kids mattresses a couple of years ago. We unzipped 8 inches or so on the 3 most accessible and checked that whole area around the seams and all, the zipper area seems the most likely spot for something to be able to enter or exit b/c there is a small hole between the top of the zipper and the stopper (not sure technical terms).

My first response was to suggest Ivermectin and dust his room with DE..... I guess I was half right!? Who knew?!

Good Luck 4Ring....
I keep expecting an issue with the almost 20 yr old step-son (he has a room in the basement he lives in and I refuse to go in) Eventually, something gross will grow in there and He's going to have to deal with it.

We stalked the kids last night and didn't see anything. Between the two of us we checked every hour or two. Here's hoping I freaked out for no reason - I would be A-OK with that! :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:46 pm __________ <br /><br /> Would DE cause any respiratory issues? The two on the bottom bunks are the asthma-y ones ;)

not to make you crazy or anything...but spider bites will fester... I've not seen an images of bed bug bites blistering...but spider bites... YUP.

So you might want to check for that... and for some folks can cause an immunological response as well.

Back