Californians color???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watersedgerabbitry

Reaction score
Well I have read alot of different opinions and now I was wondering what my rt fam has to say. I was wondering if the heat has anything to do with my rabbits dark points fading out? When I first bought some of my rabbits they had extreamlly big dark points and now just a few months after having them they seem to have faded alot. I was wondering if the heat...or the lack of some sort of nutrition could be causing this to happen. I live here in eastern NC and we have had an extreamlly hot summer but all of my rabbbits are in the shade 100% of the time. All my rabbits I am refering to are between the age of 8-12 months old. So what do yall think? And anyone else expearenced this?

just a lil more about my rabbits...I believe that the bloodline is some of the best. Most of my rabbits came directly from Al Roland in Virgina.
:thinking: :thinking:

The points change when they are kits due to heat. It might change, on the ears only, when they are adults due to temp changes. It sure does on mine, but feet and nose don't change with my Calis.<br /><br />__________ Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 pm __________<br /><br />I think Cali come in black, Chocolate and Blue? Mine are all black, except one doe would be Blue, but I call her pinky. =D

I don't have Cals, but I do know that their color is triggered by temperature. The nose, ears, and feet are the coldest areas on a rabbit, so that is where they develop dark points. They are typically lighter in the warm months. When it gets cold and they grow in their winter coats, the points will darken.

I have heard accounts of young kits that get chilled, and when their fur comes in it is a silvery color. Once they shed that out, the normal color will grow in.

Someone posted a great link explaining this in more detail... but I don't know where it is.

It's just the heat. :) If you search around here, there's a recent thread explaining that the white body/dark points color pattern is a form of albinism that is heat sensitive. Body heat turns the fur white, while the cooler extremities (ears, paws, nose) stay black.

I bought my pair in April and the breeder actually warned me this would happen when they shed out and got their summer coats. Soon they'll be growing in their winter coats and I bet you'll see darker ears again.

-Wendy

wsmoak":13xmlwy9 said:
If you search around here, there's a recent thread explaining that the white body/dark points color pattern is a form of albinism that is heat sensitive.

Found it!

post83072

Flax seed is known to enhance color in animals. Just sprinkle 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon over their feed once a week. Do not feed to bunnies under 2 months. I found a link on feeding flax seed but im on my phone so will add it later today.

Back