Californian Vs. Rex/MiniRex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nburto

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a Mini Rex rescue named Lila Bells with himalayan coloring. I am currently looking to find her a companion buns, and I have found some Mini Rex in my area, however the owners/rescues have not gotten back to me yet. I have found some "Californian" buns in my area as well and they seem to look the same as my buns with short dense coats, same weight, etc. I have even found them with the same himalayan coloring. So my question is, what exactly is the Californian? I have done some research, but they just seem so close to the Rex/MiniRex. Could these buns that I am viewing be misclassified?

Any info would help! Thanks ;)

:hi: nburto!

Rex and Mini Rex have very short, dense, velvety coats. The guard hairs should be just about as long as the undercoat. What you are describing (if indeed it looks like the coat of the Californian rabbits) does not sound like a Rex coat.

If you could post pictures of your rabbit we may be able to help you identify the breed. Here are a couple of tutorials on how to post pictures:

picture-tutorial-t6003.html

attachment-tutorial-t5.html

Most rabbits do not like having a "companion" because rabbits are very territorial. Rabbits can seemingly get along fine until one day they don't... and the results can be catastrophic. Rabbits have been known to maim or kill one another.

Of course, sometimes it can work, but if not, are you prepared to house them in separate cages?

Californians are a meat/commercial breed of rabbit that only come in the himilayan colour, they do not have the unique rex fur and should weight more than 8 pounds while Mini rex come in over 50 colours and are supposed to weight only 5 or so pounds

Do you want to breed? If so then you must breed to another rex or you will loose the velvety fur.

MamaSheepdog":h2bddgdn said:
Most rabbits do not like having a "companion" because rabbits are very territorial. Rabbits can seemingly get along fine until one day they don't... and the results can be catastrophic. Rabbits have been known to maim or kill one another.

Of course, sometimes it can work, but if not, are you prepared to house them in separate cages?

I think that the OP needs to re-read this paragraph over and over and over.

One rabbit is enough .... for that rabbit to be happy.

Both your rabbit(s?) and the Californians could be mislabeled. It's very common.

If they actually have similar coats than something is definitely wrong with one or the other's label.

Nothing is like a proper rex or mini rex coat. It's a very specific fur type that you couldn't ever mistake for anything else.
And if the "Californians" come in any color other than himilayan, than they are not Cali's.

Mutt rabbits can make fine pets. The distinction only matters if you intend to breed them.

Latest posts

Back