Cali and Curly--on the clock

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I am totally intrigued to see what our cali throws. She was born Aug 1 and this will be her first litter; she missed first time I mated her. Curly, one of our two original does is due this week too. Both are swollen, built fabbo nests and now rest expectantly with food in the feeder... a sign that has proven delivery is impending.

Cali has really swollen over the past week--I am hoping for 5-7 and will be intrigued with her mothering skills and colors

Both bred to Claude our Silver Fox/Creme d'Argent buck.

flyback

__________ Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:37 pm __________

OMgoodness---they are both just looking so plump! Curly is off feed, so I know she is close; I gave both extra hay. Cali gobbled it up, Curly is sleeping---she knows whats coming. Cali looks to be holding about 8+, I would be surprised if Curly hit that number, so has always had 6. Cali better rest while she can, its amazing how tired momma's look after week 2.... when the kids start leaving the house!

__________ Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 pm __________

Come home and Curly has an awesome nest! Lots of fur on a chilly drizzly spring night (they must know the weather!). A litter of 7---one obvious runt. Two kits are 2/x the runts size, the other four look just fine. She fed 6 of them, but the runt is shrivled. I pulled the box and Curly and tried to let it nurse on her, she was VERY patient. However, no success. I put it in the nest with another and Curly sat patiently as I added kits. The six nursed, but not the runt.

I doubt it will see morning...

I tried as this has worked before--but not every time.

I checked Cali--can feel kits. Her nipples aren't full--they seem to "bag up" a day or so prior to kindling. She may go another day.<br /><br />__________ Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:17 am __________<br /><br />Went out this am around 7ish, Cali had eated her box and was grunting and pacing with a small hay mustache. Scattered fur pulling had occured! I went back and got a flake of hay, she made a nice nest and 30 minutes later had delivered 8 kits! two are huge, all were fed so it seems we are off to a decent start.

Curly's runt is still alive and seems to have had a little to eat. will continue to monitor.

Hope all goes smoothly. That was a close call with Cali and her kindling! You're going to have to remember to give Cali extra hay if she is a nest-eater. Some does seem to go through huge amounts of hay, others not so much.

Congratulations on the new popples! :mbounce:

Thanks Maggie
I was adding hay daily as I had seen this occuring--overnight she demolished the nest... Just checked--both runts are still kicking and have had a feeding--minimal IMO.<br /><br />__________ Sun May 09, 2010 9:04 pm __________<br /><br />update: I put down two runts from Curly adn one from Cali; the rest are doing extremely well.

Curly especially has a great milking ability; the Cali is a first timer adn doesn't milk as well--the kits are smaller than curly's and she is 50% larger. go figure.

Pumpkin kindled 4 today; she had lost her 5 in a hailstorm last month. I videoed part of the delivery!

Latest posts

Back