Cages with trays vs no trays

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a winter set up with trays under my cages. I have some of my summer cages with trays also. But i also have some with out trays. I am starting not to like the ones with the trays. Constant cleaning and the smell of ammonia. I am sure that isnt good for rabbits. In the winter you dont get that as it freezes. But still constant cleaning.

Now the one one that have no trays you can only go one tier high. When you have quite a few rabbits that isnt good enough. Is there any way of solving this . I dont want to put a slanded board underneath . Then i have to pull the manure. That is just nasty.

If you don't want a slanted board under the upper tier and/or trays, I don't know if you have any other options. I use trays and cleaning is just one of the necessary evils. Mine don't usually freeze in the winter either so it's pretty much a weekly process year round.

I don't have any cages with trays- too much maintenance for my taste. My main BunnyBarn has 24 holes, 12 on the top tier and 12 on the bottom, with slanted dropping boards between the levels. Since I am only 5' 4", there is not a lot of clearance between the levels, so my boards are not slanted enough for the droppings to fall on their own. I made a scraper out of the same corrugated plastic my slant boards are made of, and simply push the droppings down daily. It only takes a minute. Hopefully sometime this year Hubs will have time to move the dropping boards down a couple of inches, so I don't have to push the droppings down as frequently.

My growout pens are in another area, and there is only one level. It is easier, but not that much easier to make me regret my two tier system.

If I had unlimited linear space, I would have only one tier, but I don't. Unless someone has a better solution, I would get rid of the trays and put dropping boards in- at least the urine doesn't pool up under the cages!

IMG_5747.JPGIMG_7934.JPG

Nice. I just hate all of the cleaning . In order not to get the ammonia smell for the rabbits noses. YOu have to clean the trays out every day if it is humid or every second day on a cool days. I hate it. But i dont have the room for one row or i would do that route. I did do the slant boards system with a trough for the urine. I hate that even worse. You couldnt clean as good and the smell was worse to my nose as i am very sensitive to that. I prefer trays over the board. Just looking for another idea ,but i guess there isnt.

I put pine shavings down underneath my cages in the barn. Between those and the waste hay which the urine drains through, I don't have much ammonia odor. I do rake out most of the waste hay every day or two and give it to my goats, but enough is left behind to help absorb the urine. Every few weeks I do a complete clean out and rebed with shavings. I also dust the area with diatomaceous earth for both fly and odor control.

Mary Ann, if you don't want to clean out trays or use a slant board setup, you're pretty much confining yourself to a single-tiered setup. It's really as simple as that.

Unfortunately, raising and owning rabbits goes hand in hand with cleaning up after them. None of us enjoys it, including the person who's posting this. However, one way you can reduce and manage the smell is by using barnyard lime or hydrated lime. They're effective in doing so and are relatively inexpensive, and when you periodically clean out from under the cages, put down a new base layer of lime, then put it down again every 2-3 days as the waste begins to accumulate. This helps to keep the smells in check. The waste should be cleaned weekly, but it will be less messy in that you'll be able to use rakes, wheelbarrels or muck buckets, and shovels versus having to handle messy waste trays.

You can also make that waste work for you by building a composting area out of 2" X 4"s and plywood. Once it's constructed, do everything in layers, and turn it periodically to allow it to air out. Everything from lawn clippings and leaves to rabbit droppings can and should be used in the composting process. Just remember to add lime and/or shaving between layers before you put them into the unit. It will help with breaking down the waste into a usable mulch while helping to control the smell. Over time, you'll likely run into gardeners who will gladly take the waste from you to use in their vegetable gardens and flower beds.

Thanks satin rule. I have gotten rid of 4 truck loads of rabbit manure from last year. I have no problem getting rid of it. I do put down some white stuff that kills ammonia in 5 minutes. It works awesome I love the stuff. But it is 20 bucks for a small bag of it and i go threw it in a week. So to much to put out in a months time. But you still have to clean out on everyday with tray.. Owning rabbits the mess comes with it. I do like the manure for my own garden. But cleaning every day or everysecond day gets to you after a while...I dont thing single trier is my answer he. I think i will stick with my tray . I guess i was looking at another easier way as the summer is a busy time of year. Ah gives me more time with my rabbits. :D
But i will check into getting some lime to see if that is any cheaper and work just as good. Thanks for that advise.<br /><br />__________ Mon May 28, 2012 10:48 am __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":f4g3vebw said:
I put pine shavings down underneath my cages in the barn. Between those and the waste hay which the urine drains through, I don't have much ammonia odor. I do rake out most of the waste hay every day or two and give it to my goats, but enough is left behind to help absorb the urine. Every few weeks I do a complete clean out and rebed with shavings. I also dust the area with diatomaceous earth for both fly and odor control.
I have done that. Put to much shaving in the manure pile for the garden. You cant have that much shaving in the compost pile . So i dont use that route. Now the hay goes in as i have no choice in the matter. The ones that are a single cage. I clean out weekly. But the tray ,every day because of the heat. I dont want my rabbits getting sick for the fumes of the ammonia because they are allot close to it. That was my main concern in the first place. So in order for that. the cleaning is allot.

Mary Ann, that product is known as Sweet PDZ down here, and you're right, it's incredibly expensive. It works, but is cost prohibitive for most of us.

The barnyard lime and hydrated lime products cost significantly less. The last time I priced it, both were somewhere between $5-10/bag, and the bags last a good while. It's what I will switch to if/when I move my operation completely outside and go to a single-tiered setup.

If you're going to stick with the trays, what I'm doing with mine right now is using a 0.5 inch layer of fine wood shavings in the trays. They help in absorbing urine and keeping smells to a minimum, and are much easier to handle and clean when the time comes. A simple putty knife is all it takes to rake out the waste, then simply rinse and reline. I clean my cage pans 2X per week (Monday and Thursday evenings, which means I will be doing so tonight--UGGGHHH!!! :lol: ).

I also use a putty knike and in the wheelbarrol it goes. I might do a light dusting of shaving and the lime . I priced the lime it is 12 something.I am going to try it . I hope it works as good or come close. So my clean is twice a week like yours instead of 6 times a week now. Thanks satin rule.

What I've starting doing when I clean trays is to put about 1/2" of peat moss in the bottom of the trays and then about the same of fine pine shavings. The peat moss really kills the ammonia smell.

I have heard that too. Peat moss is ridiculously expensive, but if it will kill the smell and help deter flies, it would be worth it.

skysthelimit":2ujhsi3t said:
I have heard that too. Peat moss is ridiculously expensive, but if it will kill the smell and help deter flies, it would be worth it.

Here at the local Walmart it is $6.68 for 2.2cf. I just cleaned 28 trays and used about 3/4 of a bag.An added benefit is that when I clean trays it goes straight to the garden.

lostspring":21agrvr3 said:
skysthelimit":21agrvr3 said:

Here at the local Walmart it is $6.68 for 2.2cf. I just cleaned 28 trays and used about 3/4 of a bag.An added benefit is that when I clean trays it goes straight to the garden.

They don't sell peat moss at my local walmart, except for those small bags for potted plants. Walmarts are regional, and carry things that are popular for that community.

lostspring":197fubx1 said:
skysthelimit":197fubx1 said:

How long will you go again before you cleaned them out?

skysthelimit":2wnewfmc said:
lostspring":2wnewfmc said:
skysthelimit":2wnewfmc said:

They don't sell peat moss at my local walmart, except for those small bags for potted plants. Walmarts are regional, and carry things that are popular for that community.
How long do you go before you clean them out again.

ladysown":crxjaqv9 said:
does lime affect worms at all?

Not sure, but I don't see why it would. It's commonly used in gardens around here especially in the fall just before mulch is added to them. Most gardens around here are full of earthworms.

Depends. If there is an older large litter I clean as needed. For single rabbits, weekly or 10 days or so. I don't let the manure come up to touch the floor. My cages are in a enclosed corn crib with good ventilation. My cages are mostly 24x30 and 30x36.

Hello. Well I say you should stick with the pull out tray cages. My rabbit doesn't have one, and believe me when I say it's truly a hassle. Stick with the pull out's. Also, walmart has cage cleaning spray, which you spray and then wipe away. I suggest doing that. It will completely clean out the smell & everything. I like to use that, and then soak his poop bowl (which I use a litter box) and put warm water in it, then wipe away after 2-3 minutes or so. It really does help. http://www.walmart.com/browse/pets/smal ... allAnimals

Back