Cage types/sizes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy2511

Reaction score
So I have been trying to get a plan together on how I plan on setting up my rabbits next year... And I am wondering now if I should get one long/large cage (8ft long by 30 inches deep) and a bunch of dividers so that I can just the divide the cage into the right sizes cages that I need at the time, or if I should just get a bunch of smaller cages in various sizes? (The latter is much more expensive. :( )

Either way I will be doing hanging cages in my barn, but since extra long cages seem more versatile and money saving, I am wondering if that my be a better way to go.
Does anyone have any experience with a cage setup like this?

The disadvantages to one long cage are as follows:

1) Difficult to carry. Therefore, difficult to take out of the barn and clean.
2) Sagging is very likely with the long length.
3) If you wish to resell, it would be problematic because most people will want individual cages.

Advantage:

1) Like you said, it would be inexpensive.
To be honest, I can't really think of any other advantages.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide what you think would be best for your short-term and long-term goals.

I think the smaller cages are better. Because if there is an illness, you can pull an individual cage and isolate a rabbt.
I have 2 cages that are 5'x 36"x 30" which I used to use when I did wildlife rehab. They are to big to move by myself but make excellent cages for a doe and her litter and/or grow out cages. These are nice but if I make more they wouldn't be any longer than 4' and the standard 18" high, 30" deep.

I'm interested, as I'm about to convert my spare bedroom into a starter rabbitry. I shall monitor this. I had been thinking about this myself, and I realized that no matter what, I'm going to need multiple cages to deal with quarantine.

So, another question, should I do anything to the cage itself to make the bunns comfy?

The reason the long cages became an idea for me is because I would like to be able to adjust the cage as needed.
I could put dividers into an 8 ft cage and then I would have four 24"x30", two 30"x30" & a 36"x30", or even two 48"x30 cages. There would be many more options, but I don't know how they would work with doors.

I can see the difficulty thst would arise with santizing... But for quarantine, I plan on having a seperate area all together.

Hm, it sound like I will need to do some pricing today and see what might work. :)
I need lots of 18x24 or 18x30 and 30x30 cages, some 30x36 and some 24x30 or 24x24. Figuring out the cheapest way to put the cages I need into a 12x8 foot space is becoming a creative headache! :lol:

__________ Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 am __________

If I did the long cages, it would be an 8ft by 24" on the bottom with an 8ft by 30" hanging above it, with a dropping board between.

Latest posts

Back