Cage Size

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Tom

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here to the forum and have a question about cages. I'm looking at the Klubertanz cages. I'm thinking that the GAW would be the way to go as it would resist rust better than the not GAW. I'm also thinking of going with the 24'' x 30'' cages. I was looking at the 30'' x 30'' cages, but my arms are not that long and I don't think I could reach the back or the far corners of the cage.

I'm thinking of hanging these cages in an old milk house we have here on the farm. The floors are concrete and the walls are tiled. That should make for easy cleaning. I'm thinking of raising New Zealands for meat, so I'm a bit concerned about the cages being small.

Do you think the 24 x 30 will do or do I need to go bigger?

:welcome: to RT, Big Tom!

I raise Standard Rex which are a bit smaller. Does are kept in 24" x 30" cages, bucks in 24" x 24".

I think the 24" x 30" would be fine for your bucks, but I would probably go 24" x 36" at least for your does.

Thanks for the replies. If I were to go with the 24 x 36 would there any advantage to getting the 2 compartment models?

Welcome to the forum! :)

Big Tom":33vaysgx said:
Thanks for the replies. If I were to go with the 24 x 36 would there any advantage to getting the 2 compartment models?

It really depends on where and how you are hanging/stacking the cages and what space you have available. :)

Does the 2 compartment mean it has doors on opposite sides? I thought the cage would be divided in two with 2 doors on one side of the cage.

Two compartments means you have two cages of the specified dimensions made by dividing one cage that is double the specified dimensions. Doors are both on the same side.

We went with 24 as well, because I have a hard time reaching back in a 30" one. Better to have the room and not need it than need it and not have it, I think. If you're going to be breeding, you want pretty large cages for the does and their litters, and then you'll need grow out space after the kits are weaned as well. Personally, I'd only use a "compartment" cage if I were looking at doing a lot of "shuffling". Our trio of breeding stock will be staying in their own cages; the only ones that'll be moved are the weaned kits. Thus we got 6 cages...one for each of the adults and 3 as grow out cages for weanlings. They're all 36 wide. Probably don't need quite that much room for the buck, but I figure if he's gonna be in a cage he might as well have some room ;) Plus it was easier for us to figure spacing requirements in the rabbitry if all the cages were the same size.

We got ours from Klubertanz and they're GAW...we've been very pleased with the quality.

I think you've gotten lots of good advice on the cages, I just wanted to say welcome Tom!

I would love to see pics once you get it set up- it sounds terrific.

Thanks for the info. I called them (which is what I should have done in the first place :oops: ) and they said that a 2 compartment would be a single cage with a divider in the middle. A 24 x 36 would be 2 spaces of 24x 18 in one cage.

Latest posts

Back