Cage question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatS

Reaction score
We have had rats visiting. Not the huge Norway rats, but these guys are definitely a bit larger than mice. I am concerned about disease. My question: would a workable solution be to have the whole cage made with the same wire as the floors are made of? Is there a reason the floors are made with 1/2 x 1 and the walls are made of 1 x 2?

Some people do make the entire cage out of floor wire. It definitely is more predator proof.

The down side is that floor wire is more costly than 1" x 2".

PatS":1fli73dw said:
We have had rats visiting. Not the huge Norway rats, but these guys are definitely a bit larger than mice. I am concerned about disease. My question: would a workable solution be to have the whole cage made with the same wire as the floors are made of? Is there a reason the floors are made with 1/2 x 1 and the walls are made of 1 x 2?

$$$ is usually the reason.

We went with half by one inch with all the cages I make because I am never all the way sure who is going to be living where when they kindle so it helps for all the cages to be baby safe and rat resistant.

It took alot of saving for a roll - $200 for 100ft by 3ft - but we have had many litters now with only one wire related disaster caused by a first time doe kindling on the wire and a raccoon taking advantage. Argh I hate those blighters :evil:

All J feeders are the closed top kinds as well to deter rats.

The only cages with larger mesh are my buck cages, they are CL cages we picked up cheap adn are replacing one at a time.

the floors are sized for satrength and support of the rabbit's feet. They also are sized to exclude predators by default. That is why the same size is often added as baby saver wire. Poeple use ix2 wire to save money-- many rabbits cannot get through it once they are a few weeks old, it is less expensive, and still remains strong. the floor wire sizes--1/2 x1, is great for exclusing most predators--including rats weasels, and mink. So, unless the cage resident has a body part, like a toe, sticking through the wire, they are generally predator safe.

So-- larger hole, less expense. I have a 5 hole bank made of all 1/2 by 1 floor wire-- it IS quite sturdy, and have had no issue with predators-- but it was expensive to build-- that bank easily used a whopping 100 feet of wire-- it was made without my input!! Even the divider walls are 1/2 by 1-- It is YOUR decision how you want your cages to look, and what the wire sizing will be, both in gage and spacing.

In wildlife rehab centers-- the aviaries and other resident enclosure are often All 1/2 by 1 wire-- because the minks and weasels always find the ducklings, crippled up possums, etc....

I hadn't really thought about it, but using floor wire for the whole cage would be good for keeping out snakes as well...which is a bigger concern than rats for me. If it gets to be a problem, I might have to start making some like that!

Thanks, Everyone.

Ever since that cold night I found a young rat curled up with the kits in a nestbox, I've been on a mission. I'd just as soon never have to think to myself, "Hey, Hera didn't have any brown babies this litter," again.

PatS":2kcsf9os said:
Thanks, Everyone.

Ever since that cold night I found a young rat curled up with the kits in a nestbox, I've been on a mission. I'd just as soon never have to think to myself, "Hey, Hera didn't have any brown babies this litter," again.

........wow, that is either the most tolerant, open-minded mom in the world, or the most oblivious. :lol:

One step further would be something I've seen mentioned a couple of times -- building a second floor below the cage. Add an inch or two to the height of the sides of the cage, and have two floors separated by that inch or two.

This would only really be useful for those with waste chutes, which allows predators access to the floor of the cage above. I would do it only if I had a history of baby legs or adult toes being bitten off, as it would make cleaning a bit more difficult.

PatS":2kvbud4d said:
I found a young rat curled up with the kits in a nestbox
That's just mind-blowing! :shock:

.......wow, that is either the most tolerant, open-minded mom in the world, or the most oblivious.

The funny thing is, she HATES "visitors." I can hear her thumping when anything is amiss, so I was shocked she allowed this one anywhere near her cage. Maybe with such a big litter she didn't notice? It was the same size as her babies. (But had a much longer tail!) It was curled up with the babies like it belonged, and they were curled right up with it. Freezing cold winter nights make for strange bedfellows, I guess.

I sure wish I had realized the possibility of vermin when I was ordering cages. I can't stand the idea of my rabbits being exposed to disease by wild critters. It is funny, rats were unheard of last year, but it seems like everyone has been bothered by them this year. How can I find out which diseases my buns can catch from rodents, so I can be prepared to treat should symptoms arise?

PatS":173w95dg said:
Thanks, Everyone.

I found one of our cats curled up with her litter of four kittens and one very young rat once :shock:

That really was a shocker as she was usually a good mouser!

Back