Cage on the ground???

Help Support RabbitTalk:

Seadog92

Reaction score
My kits are 9 weeks old and almost as big as the doe they need to be separated. I don't have a hutch ready for them but I do have two wire cages. If I stack the 2 cages on the ground would there be a problem with moving the 6 young ones to the empty cage? It will be on the ground but we are in an area not bothered by dogs or wildlife or any natural predators

ladysown

Reaction score
it would be better if you suspended the cage off the ground on bricks or pieces of wood. Helps to keep the bunnies cleaner, ergo healthier.

Mutt-Dad

Reaction score
As ladysown pointed out, putting them up on blocks will be much cleaner, and will allow you to easily get under the cage with a rake to clean up. I tried a cage on the ground once and it wasn't acceptable in my opinion.

SoDak Thriver

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
Cages on the ground work if you move them frequently. You can tractor them around places you want fertilized. Just make sure to manage the shade. Direct sun for too long will do your bunnies in.

Canlay

Reaction score
I use cinderblocks to raise my cages off the ground, and that works just fine. I wouldn't stack them on top of each other since you don't want the rabbits on top peeing/pooping on the rabbits below, haha. As an additional note: you can separate kits from mama at 6 weeks old. They don't benefit much being with mom beyond that, and some does can start to become territorial towards their kits if they hang around too long.

Latest posts