Cage Latches?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heritage Homestead

Reaction score
New hutches are in the works! :clap: :clap2: I can't wait!

Anyway, I'm going to be getting new latches on the hutches, so...

What latches do you all use and like the best? And where can I get them? I've seen a lot of different latches and can't decide which might work best, so I thought you all might help me. :D

If you have them pics would be nice too.

Thanks!

It depends on which way my doors hang, from the bottom I like a snap from a leash. Left or right a wire hook works just fine. Door hung from the top (inside the cage) I like a spring latch so I can hook the door to the roof and keep it open. I've had each type of door and I prefer the top hung doors since they stay closed even if I forget to latch them and I've yet to have a rabbit figure out how to flip open a top hung door. At least they stay away from it after it smacks them on the head :)

My husband came up with interesting latches. You know those screws with anchors on them that fold in and out? Well he got small ones and screwed them on so that when you turn them with the anchor vertical it fits through the wire and when you turn them horizontal it rests on the bars. Easiest latches we've had yet and you can screw them down so they hold the cage door completely flush. However we have an enamel sealed wood frame to screw things in to which I know most people don't do so not feasible for most. Prior to that we just used keychain size carabiners.

3mina":1gjmclth said:
I've yet to have a rabbit figure out how to flip open a top hung door.

My doe Jasper figured out how to open one- and she jumped out of her top tier cage and broke her leg.

I've had several rabbits open top hung doors. I prefer bottom hung for convenience and they open the top hung ones. I had one rabbit with 4 latches on his cage to keep him in and everyone else out because all the colony rabbits would join him in the bottom cage once the latch was undone.

Ouch! I'm glad I had dumb rabbits then :x
The side hung doors are my least favorite, I keep getting hung up on them and wrecking my coats or my arms.

3mina":1g8p83cp said:
Ouch! I'm glad I had dumb rabbits then :x
The side hung doors are my least favorite, I keep getting hung up on them and wrecking my coats or my arms.

Ours are side hung...I am contemplating changing them all over to bottom hung, a few at a time.
:thinking:

Oh, and I was hoping doors hung from the top would be rabbit proof. Bummer :x
I'm with you 3mina. I'm not fond of the side doors. My only winter coat now has holes in it.

Thanks for all the advice. Can't wait til I can get all my buns into new hutches. :D I want them to be done by the time popples arrive.

MSD, I was looking at pics of different rabbit cages in the gallery here and I saw some of yours. The thing that interested me was your feeders. Are they closed? I have the feeders that are opened on top and I don't really like them. Where did you get yours?

Thanks again everyone! :)

Heritage Homestead":7kucl18i said:
MSD, I was looking at pics of different rabbit cages in the gallery here and I saw some of yours. The thing that interested me was your feeders. Are they closed? I have the feeders that are opened on top and I don't really like them. Where did you get yours?

I have both open and closed feeders. You buy the lids separately. I bought some from BASS equipment and others from KW Cages.

Latest posts

Back