Cage construction Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
My husband just put together the last 2 cages, which will be for growing kits. AFTER he was done, I noticed the floors are on upside down. Now, correct me if I'm wrong (in this case, I'd love to be wrong) but don't you want the 1/2" gap on top, to protect the rabbits feet??? The wires that are closer together should be on top correct? How important is this?

Amy":7vrm909p said:
My husband just put together the last 2 cages, which will be for growing kits. AFTER he was done, I noticed the floors are on upside down. Now, correct me if I'm wrong (in this case, I'd love to be wrong) but don't you want the 1/2" gap on top, to protect the rabbits feet??? The wires that are closer together should be on top correct? How important is this?

Yes, you are correct. The 1/2" portion should be on top, but it is not the end of the world. If this was a cage for a doe with a new litter, I would say to remove and reinstall it correctly, since the kit's very small feet tend to slip through the wire to get caught easier with the 1" on top when they first start coming out of the nestbox to explore. However, since it is for growouts, you will be fine with putting a few resting mats in for them. :)

Okay, thanks--well now we know for sure. But, we will have does in there since reading to move the doe to a new cage instead of the kits to a new cage...so, maybe it's best to just fix it. That way we will have more flexibility w/ the cages. These are 30"x36", so same size as the does cages.

Amy":1ewp39e7 said:
Okay, thanks--well now we know for sure. But, we will have does in there since reading to move the doe to a new cage instead of the kits to a new cage...so, maybe it's best to just fix it. That way we will have more flexibility w/ the cages. These are 30"x36", so same size as the does cages.

All my cages, with the exception of some small, only for bucks cages, have babysaver wire and proper floor wire. You have much more flexibility that way when you need to move folks around... :)

MamaSheepdog":3cx1zz8v said:
It would drive me crazy knowing it was wrong if they were my cages.

Yes, but not everyone has OUR insane need to have things "just so"....must be the brain we share... :lol:

OneAcreFarm":qxpoxfu3 said:
MamaSheepdog":qxpoxfu3 said:
It would drive me crazy knowing it was wrong if they were my cages.

Yes, but not everyone has OUR insane need to have things "just so"....must be the brain we share... :lol:

True, true... and to be perfectly honest, it just might drive me crazy knowing that Amy's floor wire is upside down. :oops:

I have it too, my poor husband!!! :lol:
Okay, to ensure I don't drive anyone else crazy with my upside down floor-we'll fix it! I'll make sure to tell my husband that everyone on RabbitTalk said I have to do it, otherwise the rabbits will all get sore hocks!!! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back