Cage cleaning help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnelby

Reaction score
Hello!

My large lionhead/Rex is confined to a cage only at night, and during the day she is free roaming (most of the house). She has a large litter box and a ledge that she likes to sleep on in her cage, and under the ledge she built a nest. She went nesting like crazy for about two weeks, even though I have had her for 3 years now, so I know she definitely isn't having any kits! I was reading that it may have been from stress?

Question is, should I keep her nest when I clean out the cage? I have been trying to preserve it the best I can, but it has been taken out and put back in a bunch of times, it looks a mess. I didn't want to destroy the beautiful nest she built, but I think it's been a long while in there and I'm not sure if I should leave it or not. It has been months since she nested. Any help is appreciated!

Hello!

My large lionhead/Rex is confined to a cage only at night, and during the day she is free roaming (most of the house). She has a large litter box and a ledge that she likes to sleep on in her cage, and under the ledge she built a nest. She went nesting like crazy for about two weeks, even though I have had her for 3 years now, so I know she definitely isn't having any kits! I was reading that it may have been from stress?

Question is, should I keep her nest when I clean out the cage? I have been trying to preserve it the best I can, but it has been taken out and put back in a bunch of times, it looks a mess. I didn't want to destroy the beautiful nest she built, but I think it's been a long while in there and I'm not sure if I should leave it or not. It has been months since she nested. Any help is appreciated!
She’s finished. If she wants another, she will make one. You never have to worry about preserving a nest for a doe who is not pregnant. Bucks will even occasionally build a nest. But they, too, soon lose interest once they get that building need out of their system.

Back