Cage building question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Hunter

Reaction score
what do you use to flatten the cage wire, as it comes in a roll, and tends to want to stay that way...also, what on earth do you use to cut this stuff?...seems like a lot of work with wire cutters...any good suggestions for clip crimping tools, and clips...TSC has one that I bought...it is now some where out in the woods...as far as I could throw it...on the second crimp no less.. :angry:

I cut the size I want and set it on the ground and walk it flat.
You want to place the floor wire with the up side up
so that the wire will flatten itself with the weight of the Rabbit.
I do use wire cutters and, it IS a pain! I just have not yet figured out
a better easier way. I have two [J] clip pliers and I have found that if you
wrap the handles with Black electrical tape it is easier on the hands.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

JT_Hunter":2uwyhivu said:
what do you use to flatten the cage wire, as it comes in a roll, and tends to want to stay that way...also, what on earth do you use to cut this stuff?...seems like a lot of work with wire cutters...any good suggestions for clip crimping tools, and clips...TSC has one that I bought...it is now some where out in the woods...as far as I could throw it...on the second crimp no less.. :angry:

Just like otter said, roll it out with the free edge going OVER the roll and walk it flat. WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN YOU CUT WIRE!!!! Ask me how I know this.... :oops: I have a lovely little scar now on my forehead and I am lucky I did not lose an eye. I got my clip appliers from Klubertanz and they are much better than the one from TSC. They also make a thing called the Ringer, that uses a roll of wire to make c-rings as you go. It is still manual, but you don't have to stop and load clips. I used the clips. Also, cut you front, sides and back as one long piece and bend at the corners if you can. MUCH easier than clipping all those seams. And yes, it is alot of work with wire cutters, just make sure you have a good quality pair and wear some gloves. Good Luck!

Your wire will "walk flat" better on soil than it will on a concrete slab. More give to let it flatten. I like the Jclips a lot better than Cclips. With Cclips your cage sort of rattles. No harm done but I just like my seams tighter.

We use J-clips here too and find that the cage is alot tighter. If you are planning on making alot of cages you can use an electric shears as long as it is rated for at least 14 gauge steel.

sammysue63":1jhf2y89 said:
We use J-clips here too and find that the cage is alot tighter. If you are planning on making alot of cages you can use an electric shears as long as it is rated for at least 14 gauge steel.

I really wanted to get that Ringer, but after hearing what lots of people said about the c-rings (like your comment above) I went with J-clips. It DOES give a good, tight seam. Although, I ran out of the clips I bought from Klubertanz and ran to TSC to get some. Let me tell you, those HavaHart things are crap! I won't buy those again!<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:27 am __________<br /><br />
JT_Hunter":1jhf2y89 said:
You know, I just reminded myself, were you using the J-clips also from TSC? If so, it was likely the clips and NOT the applier. I had to get some when I ran out of the ones I got from Klubertanz...those things are absolute crap! You have to use a pliers to bend in the ends before you try to put it on or it will just meet together instead of curling around properly. That MIGHT have been your issue....

Hmmmm...yea, the "J" clips look like the right way to go...and yea, they just meet at the ends...I will try bending them next time...I also found that the crimper comes apart at the little rivit that holds it together...I had been standing on the wire to flatten it...seemed like the only way to me...guess I was right on that one..

JT_Hunter":1x67jitx said:
Hmmmm...yea, the "J" clips look like the right way to go...and yea, they just meet at the ends...I will try bending them next time...I also found that the crimper comes apart at the little rivit that holds it together...I had been standing on the wire to flatten it...seemed like the only way to me...guess I was right on that one..
It would be well worth your money to buy a good applier from Klubertanz or Bass Equipment, save a lot of time and frustration

I have two J clip pliers-- I actually prefer the cheaper one-- I may have to crimp some clips twice, but it fits in tighter corners better, The pair from Bass makes things faster, but harder to work in the tighter areas. Ifound a way to work with O clips from TSC and Bass. took some experimentation, but i got it down to a rhythmic insert into pliers, fit to wire, angle the pliers, then clip.
Yeah, the handles Oo need some help for those of us with Arthritis!!!

I work with my habds for a living so i dont find cutting or applying jclips that difficult. As for flattening the wire mesh. I just siply reverse the wire and slowly and lightly run it on the edge of my workbench untill its flat. It takes a little muscle but it does work well. Also look at you local hardware store for long handle wire cutters..The longer the handle the better leverage, the easier the cut. Hope my input helps..Good luck!

My "wire cutters" are $15 "aviation snips". They have a pointy tips and heavy duty action, and they sort of shear rather than parroting together. I like them because they are a little less hard on the hands, but I already had them--not sure I would buy them just for making cages unless I had a lot of cages to build.

try putting a 2x4 over the wire and hamering 2x4...Kinda helps straighten the wire out . Also try waking on it that helps alot too.

tfb4me":1yfja108 said:
Also look at you local hardware store for long handle wire cutters..The longer the handle the better leverage, the easier the cut. Hope my input helps..Good luck!

I have been trying to find a pair of double action wire cutters but no luck so far. The "double action" joints also create additional leverage. I did not think about the long handled ones....great idea! I will look for some of those.

If all else fails, just bend the section of wire you're working with in the opposite direction of what it's bowed in. Not to the point that it's creased, just enough to get it reasonably flattened out.

A good pair of wire cutters is always a big time plus, as are a set of military-issue lockwire pliers if you can get your hands on them (I bought mine at a DRMO sale in England while I was stationed there in the early 90's, and I still use them). A good quality pair of j-clip pliers is a good thing to have, also.

After spending like a half an hour struggling with the snips on just one cut accross, then we used a hand grinder wheel. Cut through it like butter. Did the rest of the cuts in like 5-10 min without the sore hands.

+1 as Markshere2 and Jamielrh said grinder cuts like butter and no sharp ends to snag.
after chasing my doe around the cage for 2 minutes, my forearm looked like i was a cutter. took out the grinder and smoothed all the sharp edges.
J clips are the bomb, after yu get the hang of them
and as far as flattening, i just made the concave side pointing out, with the exception of the bottom, always have the narrow dimension inside for them to stand on

I’m not sure about flattening the wire but as for cutting the wire I’ve seen people use a drimmel with a circular blade on the end. I just have to suck it up and use the wire cutters cuz I’m cheap lol.

Latest posts

Back