Bunny suddenly unable to walk, help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So about 2 months ago I rescued this rabbit that had run under a lady's car at the grocery store (uninjured) and everything went fine for the first few days, then on the 4th or 5th day I get up and she can't walk/hop. She isn't fully paralyzed, she's able to move her legs and kinda push herself by her toes, but she just drags her back legs. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, discomfort, or distress, and is eating/pooping fine, overall she's by far the chilled and most affectionate rabbit I've ever had, she just hasaid this leg issue. To make matters worse, since she can't move freely she's peeing all over herself and now losing hair all over her bottom half in big clumps....no sores yet, but it's only a matter of time. I've started having her wear a diaper (which is funny, cute, and tragic all at the same time) which seems to help but isn't eliminating the problem at all. I called a few vets, all but one said they had no clue but the last one said to worm her with fenbendazole and give her penicillin, which I'm currently preparing to do. ..does anyone else have experience with this sort of thing? Am I on he right track with the wormer?and what are her odds of regaining the use of her legs? Any thoughts, ideas, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Following! If this doesn’t work and maybe get her wheels? I’m praying she gains the uses of her back legs again!

First, I would find a rabbit savvy vet and actually go there, and have at least an x-ray. I would ask after a good vet in your area and about that issue over at rabbitsonline.com too.

There is a dedicated Disabled Rabbits group on Facebook, I've heard, might be helpful too.

As far as I know Penicilin can only be given as injection, not orally.
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm
I would be weary to administer antibiotics "just in case" to a rabbit without the vet actually seeing it, my vet definitly wouldn't give such advice without examination (I can't buy antibiotics without prescription anyway over here)

Last edited:
I am guessing fendbendazole was recommended because it could be EC. Penicillin seems unnecessary. EC can manifest in hind end neurological problems but honestly your rabbit seems to be missing some other important symptoms for EC. Sounds more like a spinal issue. However, fendbendazole won't harm her.Use the liquid Safeguard for goats, not the paste. It is a 28 day treatment though, with daily dosing (20mg/kg) without real signs of improvement until the three week point (my personal experience) so it may be a total waste of time.

So about 2 months ago I rescued this rabbit that had run under a lady's car at the grocery store (uninjured) and everything went fine for the first few days, then on the 4th or 5th day I get up and she can't walk/hop. She isn't fully paralyzed, she's able to move her legs and kinda push herself by her toes, but she just drags her back legs. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, discomfort, or distress, and is eating/pooping fine, overall she's by far the chilled and most affectionate rabbit I've ever had, she just hasaid this leg issue. To make matters worse, since she can't move freely she's peeing all over herself and now losing hair all over her bottom half in big clumps....no sores yet, but it's only a matter of time. I've started having her wear a diaper (which is funny, cute, and tragic all at the same time) which seems to help but isn't eliminating the problem at all. I called a few vets, all but one said they had no clue but the last one said to worm her with fenbendazole and give her penicillin, which I'm currently preparing to do. ..does anyone else have experience with this sort of thing? Am I on he right track with the wormer?and what are her odds of regaining the use of her legs? Any thoughts, ideas, or advice would be greatly appreciated!
If it's a parasitic infection in her brain I hope the deworming helps, it could be possible she had gotten injured and it showed up a bit later? Maybe not by the lady's car but I'm not sure where she came from, or her entire journey but sometimes injuries show up late, definitely do what the vet says, keep me updated!! I'll check back on the post, go bunny! Cheering for her c:

I had a sweet doe go down last month. She could only move her head. No idea what happened and it was sudden. I treated her with Probios, Nutri-drops, etc... but no improvement whatsoever. After more than two weeks, I had to make a tough decision and put her down.
I hope your bunny gets better.

Back